Kreeft's "A Refutation of Moral Relativism"

• Thread starter Thread starter chemcatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chemcatholic

I just finished reading Peter Kreeft’s “A Refutation of Moral Relativism”. While a good read, the outcome seems to be predetermined since the moral relativist in the story isn’t trained in philosophy like the moral absolutist. Does anybody know of a good book that treats the topic of relativism vs. absolutism where the relativistic side is defended by someone with a better grounding in philosophy?

Peace

40.png
chemcatholic:
I just finished reading Peter Kreeft’s “A Refutation of Moral Relativism”. While a good read, the outcome seems to be predetermined since the moral relativist in the story isn’t trained in philosophy like the moral absolutist. Does anybody know of a good book that treats the topic of relativism vs. absolutism where the relativistic side is defended by someone with a better grounding in philosophy?

Peace
You may try C.S. Lewis. He gives a good refutation of relativism in Mere Christianity.

40.png
chemcatholic:

Peace
Actually, you would be surprised. Kreft is not inaccurate in his protrayal of the relativist. I have been in the other camp and I am amazed by the basic terms that they don’t bother to define. I usually find that most of these folks ignore the scholastic tradition. You may want to read Clash of Orthodoxies by Robert George.

I think C.S. Lewis’s “Abolition of Man” deals directly with moral relativism, “Miracles” may as well, but I’m not sure. Good luck!
Peace in Christ,
Frank

Try Faith AND Certitude by Fr. Thomas Dubay, S.M.

I have also heard good things about Relativism: Feet Firmly Planted in Mid-Air, by Francis Beckwith and Greg Koukl, but never read it… if anyone out there has read it and can offer advice, now’s the time. 🙂

I would second the person who suggested C.S. Lewis – The Great Divorce, Abolition of Man, and Mere Christianity are all great ones that discuss the errors of relativism.

Add G.K. Chesterton to the list and you’re all set 🙂 Try his Orthodoxy, What’s Wrong With the World, and The Everlasting Man. Better yet, go to www.chesterton.org and find out your own Chesterton classics!

“I say that a man must be certain of his morality for the simple
reason that he has to suffer for it.”
~G.K. Chesterton

+veritas+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back