Labyrinth prayer

• Thread starter Thread starter momisj
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

momisj

A friend told us about his grandchildren in labyrinth prayer at a Catholic school. Is this consistent with Catholic theology?

The Chartres Cathedral in France has a labyrinth built into its floor. The Cathedral was built in approx. the 1200s. It is Catholic to its core.

This labyrinth was meant to be walked but is reported to be infrequently used today. In the past it could be walked as a pilgrimage and/or for repentance. As a pilgrimage it was a questing, searching journey with the hope of becoming closer to God. When used for repentance the pilgrims would walk on their knees. Sometimes this eleven-circuit labyrinth would serve as a substitute for an actual pilgrimage to Jerusalem and as a result came to be called the “Chemin de Jerusalem” or Road of Jerusalem.

The above quote from this page: lessons4living.com/chartres_labyrinth.htm

If you are concerned that it has been warped, you can always check into the prayers that the children are saying, but if it is a Catholic school I bet dollars to donuts they are praying the Rosary. I’ve occasionally prayed the rosary while walking a labyrinth at a cemetary near me. People always interrupted me to ask what I was doing (it was a touristy cemetary) and I would have an opportunity to share a bit about praying the Rosary with them 🙂

thank you. I will check out what kind of prayers they are saying on the labyrinth walk.

40.png
momisj:
thank you. I will check out what kind of prayers they are saying on the labyrinth walk.
For More Information and what to watch out for Click Here

There are other threads on this to check also.

Labyrinth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back