Lacking a faith community

  • Thread starter Thread starter RedFox0456
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RedFox0456

Guest
I moved back to my hometown from grad school, and I’m finding my faith struggling. At school I had a great group of guys who really lived out their faith, which made it easy to live out mine. My prayer life was good, I was attending mass several times a week, etc. Now, though, I feel isolated as I know nobody close to my age who seems to be taking his/her faith seriously. I have noticed that with this lack of community I have started to fall back into bad habits and have felt my fire wane. I’m not really sure what to do in this situation. I’ve gone to daily mass in hopes of finding a new group to build me up, but I am pretty sure I’m at least four decades removed from everyone else, so that’s not looking like a great option.
 
Hi,
I dont really know what to tell you but Im 25 and in the same situation. Plus Im just recently married so Ive been desperately wanting to find other Catholic couples our age.
I feel like… at least in my area, its hard to find many people our age who are practicing Catholics. I think there are a lot more in “nondenominational” churches now. Perhaps its a sign that our Church needs to really reach out to our generation and the younger ones.
Im hoping my husband I can volunteer and we’ll slowly find others. Hopefully.
 
Actually, I don’t really have much to add to either of your comments, but I definitely understand what you’re both saying. There doesn’t seem to be an over abundance of youngish Catholics here in Seattle either.

And NewCatholicWife, volunteering does sound like a good idea. I’m hopefully going to be able to find a way to do the same!
 
In the Seattle area Holy Family Kirkland has a young adult group and an orthodox pastor. Blessed Sacrament in the University District is Dominican and has solid teaching and lots of active young adults. You could talk to the Dominican priests there to get connected.
 
I volunteer in my parish, and my duties as head sacristan put me in contact with all kinds of people. Given that there is literally no one like me in the entire parish (only American, only non-native French speaker in service, married 12 years but with no children, non-Catholic spouse, ethnically Asian while more than 99% of the parish is native white French, etc. etc. etc.), I have had to reach out to those with very different backgrounds from my own. You may be surprised at the Christian fellowship people much older or younger than you can offer, how much you might have in common with them despite the difference in age and life experience. I would urge anyone in search of a faith community not to be reluctant to forge relationships with those who are not like you. Had I done that, I would still be alone in my faith.

God bless, and I hope y’all find a faith community to nourish and edify you.
 
Kindess, thank you so much! I’ve walked past Blessed Sacrament before, but I’ve never attended a mass there. I’m definitely going to make a point of going there now. I live about fifty feet from St. James Cathedral so it’s kind of silly, but I do like that part of the U so it’ll be fun. By the way, I’ve talked to people around town about this and no one has ever had any good ideas or information, so it’s strange that I should learn of this from someone in Germany!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top