I have a couple answers to the original question.
Yeah. I know that by reading the Torah (Gen,Ex,Lev,Num, Deut) you and I can get the impression that – there it is God’s revelation. It’s just that simple. Have a good life. So, how do we turn the corner into Christianity?
Psalm 1 is the key to the remainder of the Psalms. If you don’t buy into it, if you’re not with the program of Psalm 1, then the rest of them may make no sense.
Judaism calls the commands of the Old Testament mitzvah (plural of mitzvos, as I recall).
Well, the performance of a command is called idiomatically a blessing, because the Jew is blessed in the performance of the command. I’ve read that they have a small personal ceremony and prayer when they perform a mitzvos. The word also carries the mean of “connection” by which they connect to God very intimately.
At the end of their liturgical year, the Jews have a special feast for the receiving of the Torah (“Instruction”). They celebrate that God has revealed to them how to live most appropriately with and for the LORD.
You know, the attitude of a devout Jew is way beyond the idea of compliance with God’s commands. God has revealed to us that we are made in His image and likeness and that is a great revelation and a great gift. So also the commands of the covenant which binds or connects us to God.
Psalm 112:1** Hallelujah. Happy is the man who fears the LORD and who is ardently devoted to His commandments.**
Psalm 119:11 I** have buried Thy law in my heart, that I may not sin against You**.
Psalm 119: 62** I arise at midnight to praise You for Your just rules**.
Psalm 119:105
Your word is a lamp for my feet and a light for my path.
Turning to the idea of what Christians must obey.
The general document to read is from the Pontifical Biblical Commission, called “The Jewish People and their Scripture” which can be downloaded from the document library at
ewtn.com. This document runs around 115 pages and it covers that idea of how things change after Jesus.
I had a very clear idea of all this a month or two ago, but I’m forgetting the best of the arguments. A very good book which I read in a day (I couldn’t put it down) was Dr. Brank Pitre’s “Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist – Unlocking the Secrets of the Last Supper.” It covers the transition into the new “testament”, the new covenant.
Even Judaism admits that it cannot perform even half of the commands of the Torah, because the Temple (in their thinking) does not exist. They themselves have spiritualized the commands, so that prayer takes the place of animal sacrifice. They have agreed that prayer is the pinacle of human activity – we have a God who listens to us.