Legion of Mary

• Thread starter Thread starter Cherub
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cherub

Hello,

My parish is having visitors this coming Sunday after Mass who are members of the Legion of Mary. They are going to be starting a chapter of this at my church. Is anyone here a member of this who could tell me more about it? They sound like very devoted prayerful group.

Thanks,
Cherub

Hi Cherub.

I was in the Legion Of Mary a few years ago, before I relocated. I joined as a result of fervent prayer to God to help me find a prayer group to join. Soon, my attention was drawn to the announcement in our Sunday bulletin regarding the meetings of the Legion of Mary. I went, not knowing what it was…and was pleasantly surprised.

Our group met for prayer and devotion to Our Lady each week then discussed our purpose, door-to-door evangelization.

This was NOT as you envision JW’s doing. We did go door to door with rosaries and the local church bulletin. I found people actually receptive to our approach.

Many times in our village neighborhood, we found people who wanted to register for the church, elderly who had not attended mass for medical, weather related reasons and just wanted to sign up for a visit from a Eucharistic minister each week. Young families thinking about which neighborhood church to attend that needed that tiny little extra push.

I also encountered people who just wanted a few moments of conversation and human contact. The rosary was a huge hit!

Mind you, I got my face slammed in many a door as well, but ya know? I don’t recall those moments as vividly as those warm blessed times when I met someone who needed this particular intercession.

It was an enriching experience, and I feel always connected to the Legion but am unable to find a Legion in my area that jives with my schedule. May Our Lady help me with that someday soon.

I find this one of the most Beautiful Prayers honoring Our lady. It brings tears to my eyes each time I reflect on it’s beauty.

CATENA LEGIONIS

Antiphon. - Who is she that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the Sun, terrible as an army set in battle array?

My soul doth magnify the Lord.

And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

Because He hath regarded the humility of His handmaid: for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

For He that is mighty hath done great things to me, and holy is His name. And His mercy is from generation unto generations to them that fear Him.

He hath showed might in His arm: He hath scattered the proud in the conceit of their heart.

He hath put down the mighty from their seat: and hath exalted the humble.

He hath filled the hungry with good things: and the rich He hath sent empty away.

He hath received Israel His servant: being mindful of His mercy.

As He spoke to our fathers: to Abraham and to his seed forever.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost.

As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Antiphon. - Who is she that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as an army set in battle array?

V. O Mary conceived without sin.
R. Pray for us who have recourse to Thee.

Let us pray

O Lord Jesus Christ our Mediator with the Father, Who hast been pleased to appoint the Most Blessed Virgin, Thy Mother, to be our Mother also, and our Mediatrix with Thee, mercifully grant that whosoever comes to Thee seeking Thy favours may rejoice to receive all of them through her. Amen.

“Jesus, Mary, I love You, Save Souls.”

jrabs, thank you so much for the very helpful information. Door to door is something I have never thought of in regards to the Catholic Church. It is great that there is a lay organization doing this kind of outreach in the parish communities. Taking rosaries going out, knocking on doors…the very idea is romantic to me, like the thought of missionary work, only it is close to home. That prayer truly is a beauty!

I also was in the Legion of Mary some years ago…Come to think of it: my wife & I were members in Indpls., Indiana the 1st year we were married…we moved to South Bend, Indiana…Then I met with a local chapter there; but did not rejoin because of other commitments…
I must say, the experiences were wonderful…the members in both chapters did soooo much good in the prayers and charitable activities (e.g. taking Communion to nursing homes, visiting those in need, participating in parish needs…
Go for it!! God and His Mother will love you…

Our group is a lot like davefl described. We also have prayer support members that pray for the active members each day and are treated to a dinner once a year.

Good luck, may God bless you for your service.
Deacon Tony SFO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back