K
Katholikos77
Guest
Hello everyone. I have several questions and concerns regarding The Lenten Season and the requirement that we must abstain from meat on certain days and I was looking to find some advice.
Here they are:
We are to abstain from meat on all the friday’s of lent and other days(such as ash wednesday). This I know. But my family won’t listen to me when I tell them that the only “meat” we can eat on the fridays of lent is fish. They keep telling me " you can eat any white meat, like chicken and turkey too" they wont listen to me and violate the lenten abstinence from meat. Then My mother says to me today:, "This holy week, I plan on making nothing but soup(vegetables only), and I tell her, "Mom, it’s ok to eat meat on Holy week, except for fridays of course(because she believes we are required to abstain from meat for all of holy week).To that she only became angry and said something Along the lines of “Well, I’VE always believed that we shouldn’t eat meat during all of holy week.” I’ve got no problem with not eating meat for all of Holy week, but my problem lies in that they won’t listen to what I have to say; In that they would rather do as they please, excusing everything I tell them the Church says away. This bothers me much.
So what should I do. Is everything that I’ve told them true. Or I’m I the one that’s wrong in all this? Sorry If I posted this in the wrong place, but I didn’t know where else to put it.
I really hope my family changes their ways. Please Pray for them, and for me as well. God knows I have my own struggles as well.
God Bless you all.
Here they are:
We are to abstain from meat on all the friday’s of lent and other days(such as ash wednesday). This I know. But my family won’t listen to me when I tell them that the only “meat” we can eat on the fridays of lent is fish. They keep telling me " you can eat any white meat, like chicken and turkey too" they wont listen to me and violate the lenten abstinence from meat. Then My mother says to me today:, "This holy week, I plan on making nothing but soup(vegetables only), and I tell her, "Mom, it’s ok to eat meat on Holy week, except for fridays of course(because she believes we are required to abstain from meat for all of holy week).To that she only became angry and said something Along the lines of “Well, I’VE always believed that we shouldn’t eat meat during all of holy week.” I’ve got no problem with not eating meat for all of Holy week, but my problem lies in that they won’t listen to what I have to say; In that they would rather do as they please, excusing everything I tell them the Church says away. This bothers me much.
So what should I do. Is everything that I’ve told them true. Or I’m I the one that’s wrong in all this? Sorry If I posted this in the wrong place, but I didn’t know where else to put it.
I really hope my family changes their ways. Please Pray for them, and for me as well. God knows I have my own struggles as well.
God Bless you all.