Lenten Sacrifice

• Thread starter Thread starter Kuri
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kuri

I was told that you may eat your Lenten Sacrifice (I gave up soda for Lent) on Sunday during Lent. Is this true?

Officially Sundays during Lent aren’t part of Lent. Also Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, etc. aren’t technically Lenten days, but they all are days of sacrifice.

It is up to you to decide what you are giving up during Lent and the rules that apply to it.

You can say that you are giving up X during the entire period of Lent through the start of Easter or you can say that you are giving up X on all actual days of Lent.

A priest I know said it best when he said that “Sundays in Lent are not technically part of Lent. If you give up something that may interfere with your participation in Sunday Mass, then partake of it on Sunday, but otherwise why worry about the technicalities. Give it up for the entire period.”

Strictly speaking, this is true. Sundays are never counted as days of penance because they are always days to celebrate the Resurrection. Every Sunday is considered to be a “little Easter.”

Having said that, however, I do advise against taking a minimalist approach to such things (I’m only going to do what I really have to do). While there may be no problem with not observing your lenten sacrifice on Sundays during Lent, does that really follow the intentions of the season. I think that this is especially true in these days when the lenten requirements are so much less than they used to be (fasting on all weekdays which, in the Catholic Church, includes Saturdays)

Count the days on the calendar, Lent is 40 days, so Sundays don’t “count”. On Sunday, we are supposed to all come together for the celebration of Christ’s resurrection. At CCD classes, when I pointed this out to my sixth grade class, I have kids who thought that was so cool. 👍 But I particularly emphasize the reason for Sundays “not counting” was to really celebrate the resurrection of Christ. :amen:

Sundays are not part of Lent, but they fall within the Lenten Season (second Sunday of Lent, and so on). Sundays recall the Resurrection, and therefore should be days of celebration. Fasting during Lent has 2 purposes. The first is mourning for the Passion and death of our Lord. It would not be right to fast on a Sunday for this reason. However, the second reason is to “make straight the way of the Lord” within our own bodies, to discipline them and prepare them for the Kingdom. As anyone who is involved in an activity which requires discipline, like dieting or athletic training, knows you will get more benefit from maintaining a strict adherence to your discipline than giving it up once in a while. It’s the same with fasting.

So basically, if you wish to break your fast in celebration of our Lord’s triumph over death, that’s fine. And if you want to continue your fast through Sundays in Lent in order to better discipline yourself for service to Christ, that’s fine too. It’s a matter of personal judgment.

40.png
Kuri:
I was told that you may eat your Lenten Sacrifice on Sunday. There
are some people who don’t agree, and so I am wondering if this is true.
In our house, we have always practice Sunday to be a free day. Since we follow the “old” rules we fast everyday except Sunday and Feast Days so we have just included our Lenten sacrifice with this. Although some have occasionally choosen keep their sacrifice straight through.

“Blessed is he who understandeth what it is to love Jesus, and to despise himself for the sake of Jesus. We must leave what is beloved for the sake of the Beloved; for Jesus will be loved alone and above all things.”

I have been told that it is best to give during Lent, rather than give up.

There is an old Jewish custom that one may never fast during a feast. A time of mourning must be cut short if a wedding occurrs. We have inherited that. Days of penance must give way to Sundays and Solemnities.

40.png
coralewis:
I have been told that it is best to give during Lent, rather than give up.
Although giving is a wonderful thing and in itself a form of sacrifice, it is important to remember that, self mortification and penance are very, very pleasing to our Lord and we are told that we shall not enter the Kingdom of Heaven unless we practice it.

If you consider giving a form of penance and self mortification then I guess you are ahead of the game, but it is in denying ourselves that we truly become charitable!

" But, O my God, this house of my heart is too narrow for Thee: do Thou enlarge it; it is falling to ruin; do Thou repair it; it has been defiled by sin; do Thou cleanse and purify it. “Let Thy tender mercies come unto me and I shall live! Lord, I am not worthy that Thou shouldst enter under my roof; say but the word, and my soul shall be healed”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back