Lenten Traditions for Marrieds

• Thread starter Thread starter Geremia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Geremia

I have heard of refraining from marital relations during Lent, but there is another I am not so clear about. It had to do with the husband and wife being separate during Holy Week or the Triduum. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks

Nope, that is not a required practice.

I believe the Orthodox fast from marital relations, maybe that is where your friends were confused?

I have heard of refraining from marital relations during Lent, but there is another I am not so clear about. It had to do with the husband and wife being separate during Holy Week or the Triduum. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks
I have been Catholic for over 60 years and married for over 40 and never heard of either tradition for Catholics

I have been Catholic for over 60 years and married for over 40 and never heard of either tradition for Catholics
Maybe I just confusedly remembered 1 Cor. 7:5, “Defraud not one another, except, perhaps, by consent, for a time, that you may give yourselves to prayer; and return together again, lest Satan tempt you for your incontinency,” which is really just a statement of Natural Family Planning (NFP), right?

Maybe I just confusedly remembered 1 Cor. 7:5, “Defraud not one another, except, perhaps, by consent, for a time, that you may give yourselves to prayer; and return together again, lest Satan tempt you for your incontinency,” which is really just a statement of Natural Family Planning (NFP), right?
No Paul is talking about for Prayer…not NFP (though NFP to avoid is good if done for serious reasons)

Refraining in Lent for prayer has been a practice (other times too). Never heard of a “being separate” during holy week or Triduum…and I am aware of a good deal in history of spirituality and theology…

I recall attending a class on Jewish roots of Christian priesthood, liturgy and sacraments taught by a rabbi and a priest. Got a lot about passover etc, but what stuck in my mind was the teaching on marriage and the topic of family purity and general, and the specific recommendation that one of the best ways to honor the Sabbath was for husband and wife to enjoy relations on that day for special blessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back