Lets share some wonderful Christmas literature!

• Thread starter Thread starter Fergal
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fergal

I am a little tired now of all the various Christmas gripes on the different boards about the place. Sorry my friends I know they are all probably very worthy, but I want to delve into things spiritual during this time.

I would love to see any prose, poems, readings etc. apart from the norm that you use to inspire the heart over this time. Keep the ones we know away!! Give us new material to share with one another.

I am going to treat myself and your good selves and post here a poem that has given me many hours of contemplation and many occassions of spiritual renewal. I hunger for it in these days. To you who follow suit take some time to contemplate the following wonderful poem.

It never fails to bring me wonder at each and every line therein.

It is my pleasure to present:

**‘The Nativity of Christ’ **
**by **
Saint Robert Southwell, S.J. (1562-1595)

Behold the father is his daughter’s son,
The bird that built the nest is hatched therein,
The old of years an hour hath not outrun,
Eternal life to live doth now begin,
The Word is dumb, the mirth of heaven doth weep,
Might feeble is, and force doth faintly creep.

O dying souls, behold your living spring;
O dazzled eyes, behold your sun of grace;
Dull ears, attend what word this Word doth bring;
Up, heavy hearts
, with joy your joy embrace.
From death, from dark, from deafness, from despairs
This life, this light, this Word, this joy repairs.

Gift better than himself God doth not know;
Gift better than his God no man can see.
This gift doth here the giver given bestow;
Gift to this gift let each receiver be.
God is my gift, himself he freely gave me;
God’s gift am I, and none but God shall have me.

Man altered was by sin from man to beast;
Beast’s food is hay, hay is all mortal flesh.
Now God is flesh and lies in manger pressed
As hay, the brutest sinner to refresh.
O happy field wherein that fodder grew,
Whose taste doth us from beasts to men renew.

Now isn’ that just wonderful? if you want more of this Saints writings please visit: praiseofglory.com/strsxpmas.htm

Hark the herald, angels sing … glory to the newborn King!

I heard a presentation a few years ago about the author who wrote this hymn. He was awestruck as he pondered the wonder of God becoming flesh, and the truth that it was to redeem mankind.

For in truth, there was no redemption for the angels who rebelled — only for man.

Thank you Fergal for beginning this thread. It is God’s holy season of JOY, and the Church celebrates an octave of eight days because it cannot be contained in only one day. It is so good to focus on the positive beauty of the Incarnation.

My thoughts have centered this year on the message of the angel to the shepherds in the field who were the first to hear the good news. Lowly, ordinary, unknown field shepherds! Not as one might expect, to the religious leaders who knew the scriptures and would recognize and rejoice in the long-awaited coming of the Messiah.

It gives hope to simple folk to trust the wonderful love of God for us personally. Sometimes one may feel so insignificant that we do not merit the glance of God, but this mystery of the shepherds restores our confidence that we may approach His tiny, vulnerable infancy, and be welcome in His presence.

Carole

Either that or they are busy researching and will astound us with their choices or pose / poetry and verse!!Come on folks lets create a treasurey for future Christmases!

Let’s hear from St. Augustine 🙂 . . .
Awake, mankind! For your sake God has become man. Awake, you who sleep, rise up from the dead, and Christ will enlighten you. I tell you again: for your sake, God became man.
You would have suffered eternal death, had he not been born in time. Never would you have been freed from sinful flesh, had he not taken on himself the likeness of sinful flesh. You would have suffered everlasting unhappiness, had it not been for this mercy. You would never have returned to life, had he not shared your death. You would have been lost if he had not hastened ‘to your aid. You would have perished, had he not come.
Let us then joyfully celebrate the coming of our salvation and redemption. Let us celebrate the festive day on which he who is the great and eternal day came from the great and endless day of eternity into our own short day of time.
He has become our justice, our sanctification, our redemption, so that, as it is written: Let him who glories glory in the Lord.
Truth, then, has arisen from the earth: Christ who said, I am the Truth, was born of the Virgin. And justice looked down from heaven: because believing in this new-born child, man is justified not by himself but by God.
Truth has arisen from the earth: because the Word was made flesh. And justice looked down from heaven: because every good gift and every perfect gift is from above.
Truth has arisen from the earth: flesh from Mary. And justice looked down from heaven: for man can receive nothing unless it has been given him from heaven.
Justified by faith, let us be at peace with God: for justice and peace have embraced one another. Through our Lord Jesus Christ: for Truth has arisen from the earth. Through whom we have access to that grace in which we stand, and our boast is in our hope of God’s glory. He does not say: “of our glory”, but of God’s glory: for justice has not come out of us but has looked down from heaven. Therefore he who glories, let him glory, not in himself, but in the Lord.
For this reason, when our Lord was born of the Virgin, the message of the angelic voices was: Glory to God in the highest, and peace to men of good will.
For how could there be peace on earth unless Truth has arisen from the earth, that is, unless Christ were born of our flesh? And he is our peace who made the two into one: that we might be men of good will, sweetly linked by the bond of unity.
Let us then rejoice in this grace, so that our glorying may bear witness to our good conscience by which we glory, not in ourselves, but in the Lord. That is why Scripture says: He is my glory, the one who lifts up my head. For what greater grace could God have made to dawn on us than to make his only Son become the son of man, so that a son of man might in his turn become son of God?
Ask if this were merited; ask for its reason, for its justification, and see whether you will find any other answer but sheer grace.
From a sermon by St. Augustine (Sermo 185: PL 38, 997-999)

Has anyone anything to share? Anything different on a Christmas theme that has pulled at the heart or has engaged the mind?

Not Christmas Literature, but a Christmas Song…and not even a new one, but one that I heard for the very first time at a Christmas concert I attended at the Catholic (Girls’) High School attended by my neighbor’s daughter. This just appealed to me on so many levels:

BREATH of HEAVEN (Mary’s Song)
(I’m thinking the lyrics are by Amy Grant)

I have traveled
Many moonless night
Cold and weary
With a babe inside
And I wonder
What I’ve done
Holy Father,
You have come
Chosen me now
To carry your son

I am waiting
in a silent prayer
I am frightened
by the load i bear
In a world as cold as stone
Must I walk this path alone
Be with me now
Be with me now

Breath of Heaven
Hold me together
Be forever near me
Breath of Heaven

Breath of Heaven
Lighten my darkness
Pour over me, your holyness
For you’re holy, Breath of Heaven

Do you wonder
As you watch my face
If a wiser one, should of had my place
But I offer all I am
For the mercy of your plan
Help me be strong
Help me be
Help me

Breath of Heaven
Hold me together
Be forever near me
Breath of Heaven
Breath of Heaven
Lighten my darkness
Pour over me your holyness
For you’re holy, Breath of Heaven

Anyway, I was very moved by this song… 👍

40.png
Figment713:
Not Christmas Literature, but a Christmas Song…and not even a new one, but one that I heard for the very first time at a Christmas concert I attended at the Catholic (Girls’) High School attended by my neighbor’s daughter. This just appealed to me on so many levels:

BREATH of HEAVEN (Mary’s Song)
(I’m thinking the lyrics are by Amy Grant)

I have traveled
Many moonless night
Cold and weary
With a babe inside
And I wonder
What I’ve done
Holy Father,
You have come
Chosen me now
To carry your son

I am waiting
in a silent prayer