Leviticus 26

  • Thread starter Thread starter Catherine_White
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Catherine_White

Guest
Hello,

I have a co-worker who has a bumber sticker that reads “Terrorism is ordered by God” and quotes Leviticus (I think it is 26:15-16, but not sure). The bumper sticker references a church in Chicago.

I asked him what it means because he is always saying he has a background as a preacher and talks about God and says he is a Christian.

His reply is that God does order terrorism for all of the evil in the world. He said the God has had enough and just says ok I will wipe out so many people because of the evil in the world.

Where do I begin with how carzy i think this is? God is all loving. God is forgiving. If God wanted to show people how displeased He is with the evil in the world, He only has to will it and He could show us all how mighty He realy is.

I replyed to him by stating that God is loving and forgiving, and that Jesus said to love your enemies and do good to those who hate you, that Jesus came down to show us all another way to live and that there aremany things in the old testament that are not to be taken literally.

He just qouted scripture and said that God does order terrorism and when we have more time (because we work in an on phone position) we would have to talk more about it.

I am looking forward to talking to him more about it, but I feel unprepared. I would like something concreate to reply to him with. I do not wish to “force my views” on him but I do really want to reach him and share how loving God really is.

What can you give me as appologetics so I can rebut his argument and share with him our wonderful faith?

Help, please!

God bless.
 
Catherine, Hi!
What a great question. I believe and have been taught that Leviticus is literal and metaphorical for it’s time and many of the Jewish faith still rely on this book of the bible in the Old Testament for their religious conduct and behavior. Many Jews follow the 613 commandments of their faith most of which come from Leviticus.

Jesus did point out that God does not want us to follow the old Jewish commandments except for the ten when he told us that God requires from us our obedience to Him, our love of Him and to our neighbors as most important.

Jesus mentioned that some of the Jewish laws of the Old Testament were silly. He made that clear in His admonishments to the Pharisees in particular regarding the law against healing on the Sabbath or saving a missing member of the flock (literally and figuratively).

If you read Luke and other books of the New Testament, you will have plenty of “ammunition” to support your views and the views of our church.

Today with the New Testament in Jesus Christ our “sword” is the word of God, of Jesus and it is important to understand how the OT books fit into our understanding today in relation to the NT.

I recommend an intensive bible study at your church and that you participate as much as possible. We study Jeff Cavins Bible Timeline dvds as this presents the OT and the NT and how they are interwoven and support each other. It is a remarkable teaching tool.
By doing this, it will help to increase your undrstanding and give you insight on how to answer certain questions.

There are some people who take the bible literally and are legalists in today’ culture that is why bible study is so important.🙂
 
I don’t think your co-worker should be calling God a terrorist. He is the divine judge. There is something to be said about following or breaking covenants though. Jesus presented a covenant lawsuit against the unfaithful scribes and Pharisees (Mt 23:13-36) pronouncing woes on them as a covenant curse. And the background is Lev 26. Jesus also foretold the destruction of the Temple. The woes stand opposite the New Covenant blessings in the beatitudes (Mt 5:3-12) though. So I guess it depends if you believe there are good and bad consequences associated with covenants.
 
Hi Catherine,

In Leviticus, and in many other places in the Old Testament, God says that he will bless the Jews if they are faithful to the Covenant and will take back his blessing if they are unfaithful. But we now have a New Covenant, that replaces the Old.

This is treated at large in the Epistle to the Hebrews, especially in chapter 8 and following, In Chapter 8, the writer quotes a long passage from Jeremiah which ends wilth the words :
I shall forgive them their wrongs and I shall not remember their sins
. And then he adds :
By saying new alliance he renders the first one old. Now what is old and worn is about to disappear.
God’s sanctions for breaking the Old Alliance do not apply to us under the New Alliance.

Now God can cause certain things to happen to help put us back on the path of righteousness, but no one can say that such and such an event happens to punish us or for any other purpose. Only God knows and He is not telling At the end of the world we shall understand all things divine and human.

What do you think of my answer?

Verbum
 
Verbum -

Thank you for your help. I think this will be very useful. I appreciate ezch answer thus far, thank you all.

I just am boggled at the idea that anyone who knows Jesus, thinks that he would order terrorism.

Jesus is all loving. Also I belive that when we stand before God for our judgement, that is when God will show the evil his displeasure. They will loose his love and godness forever. That is the ultimate punishment.

I can’t believe that God will randomly hurt others for evil in the world. While we all are guilty through original sin, God says his mercy is for all who asks and the church teaches us the only sin that is unforgivable is that of doubting God’s forgivness (presumption).

Verbum I think you are right. Thank you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top