Lied to get job, have had job for years, now what?

  • Thread starter Thread starter corinth77
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

corinth77

Guest
Many years ago I lied during a job interview process to get the job. Ultimately, I got the job and have worked with my employer, who has given me job promotions, for years. Yet I live with the doubt about my initial dishonesty.

Can anyone help me? Do I just live with this lie forever? Sometimes I am able to block this out of my mind but it still haunts me.
 
If I understand your question correctly, no, I did not lie about any of my credentials or relevant experience.
 
Last edited:
yea confess and let it go.

obviously you are doing a good job because you got promoted… so as long as you’re not pretending to be a doctor or lawyer when you’re not, lied about something that can land you in jail or signed a contract that you are what you lied about… confess to God you’re lie, forgive yourself and let it go.
 
If I understand your question correctly, no, I did not lie about any of my credentials or relevant experience.
Talk to your priest. Make a good sacramental confession if you haven’t already if you think the lie is mortal rather than venial.

Clearly you did not lie about anything material to the job, so I don’t see why this is plaguing you for “years”. Without more detail I don’t think we can say much else.

Perhaps you are being scrupulous?
 
Apparently, you are doing a good job and your boss is happy with you. I think the statute of limitations has run out on this lie. Tell God you are sorry, if you haven’t already, and let it go.
 
Perhaps I am being scrupulous, but I think the guilt I live with stems from the fact that had I been truthful, it’s possible I may not have gotten the job. And in that sense, I am taking up someone else’s spot.
 
Perhaps I am being scrupulous, but I think the guilt I live with stems from the fact that had I been truthful, it’s possible I may not have gotten the job. And in that sense, I am taking up someone else’s spot.
And if you’d taken some other job, then you’d have someone else’s spot and they’d have a different job, etc, into Infinity.

I do think you are being seriously scrupulous if whatever this so-called “lie” was is so immaterial it has nothing to do with experience or qualifications.
 
Well, you seem to be good for the job otherwise you wouldn’t have stayed there or gotten promotions. Is lying good? No. So just confess it and be happy that you are doing well at your job now. It could have been part of God’s plan.
 
Last edited:
Well it seems you can do the job you were hired for as you have gotten promotions so you didn’t lie about your abilities. Unless you did then in that case you are a quick learner.

If you lied to cover a criminal history you got lucky as they didn’t actually check to see if you have a record. The question I have is, is there any way your employer could discover your lie even at this late date?

Either way I think the advice you have gotten about confessing it and forgetting it is sound.
 
And in that sense, I am taking up someone else’s spot.
I’d say you’re taking up your own spot, because you’ve shown you’re good at the job. Year after year.
 
Last edited:
Are you afraid of losing your job if you tell your boss about your lie? How likely is it? Would your boss even care or just be confused? What depends on you having this job?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top