Life as a Solitary

• Thread starter Thread starter Micki
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Micki

Although I am not living alone (my husband and I have been happily married for 32 years), I have lost my closest family members - parents and my one sister. Bill and I have no children and no neices or nephews. Also, Bill is an only child. We have a few close friends and I have gotten closer to my cousins in the past few years.

As I contemplate retirement, I have grown fearful of being alone yet I have grown so very weary of all of the “people problems” at work. I’ve heard others say that as you get older your world get smaller. I am both attracted and fearful of that. So, through prayer I have begun to embrace my solitide and the thought that it might increase as the years pass. I have invited Jesus into this solitude and pray he will graciously accept.

As a child I can remember wanting to stay in the empty quiet church in front of the tabernacle rather than going out onto that noisey playground. I feel that way now.

I think some people are more ‘cut out’ for solitude than others. Personally I would love solitude but have to make the opportunity. I make time for solitude and prayer only for the telephone to ring or someone knock on the door. Part of me thinks ‘Good grief who is this now!’ and I have to remind myself that Jesus is on the telephone or standing at my door and I will meet Jesus there in those people.

I think it is good to accept one’s state in life and not to fight against it, this will only lead to a lack of peace inside oneself. In accepting who we are and where we are in life and those around us we are at peace and don’t have that constant restlessness.

I also think we mustn’t be too rigid in our lives in the respect of how we want it to be. The Holy Spirit is always moving us along and does not work against our natural inclinations, rather He develops those. You could say, He works with us, not against us. In working with us, the Holy Spirit reveals new things about ourselves that we didn’t know, nor know we were capable of.

When I was younger I would often see my plans, my ideals amount to nothing. I soon learnt not to plan in my head without seeking what it is that God desires of me.

People are always problematic, but in being problematic we challenge each other to grow in virtue. From this standpoint which I believe is true, I soon learnt to like the people who irritated me most, they became a curiosity for me as undoubtedly they revealed something about myself that is lacking. I have an Aunt, she irritates the life out of me, but if I place my hand on my heart, she is infact one of the most generous people I know in regards to giving of herself and time to myself and my child. I came to the conclusion I was not generous enough to her, I did not generously overlook those irirtating ways of her personality that really are minor and of no fault or failing really. She increased in me the virtue of generosity purely because I see her regularly (almost everyday) and I didn’t withdraw from her because she caused certain reactions within me. I am sure there is something if not more one than one thing in me that irritates the life out my Aunt, but she still loves me and is very generous towards me.

I don’t think it is necessarily a good idea to withdraw from people on the basis that they are difficult; everyone is difficult. This is not why we seek solitude. If we withdraw for this reason, we are withdrawing into a void. We give nothing and we receive nothing. To withdraw for certain periods to seek solitude to be alone with God we do not go to God alone during these times but we take everyone we love and hold dear and we take all those we know, even those who cause us pain and heartache and we take all of this and all of ourself and our faults and failings to God in these times of prayer.

I don’t recommend you be alone on the basis you are saying.I will say this and if I am on the wrong track, say so and it is not meant to cause you any hurt, but meant for your welfare and spiritual good. I think it will compound your feelings that seem to stem from feeling unaccepted by others to withdraw as you have outlined. You are acceptable, Jesus freely accepts you as you are. Solitude is most wonderful when we know in our hearts we are loved and acceptable despite our faults and failings. It is not wonderful when we feel we are unacceptable. I believe your critical outlook on others and their ‘problems’ and them ‘being difficult’ stem from how you have been taught to see yourself and so you choose to retreat from them.

continued

Life is laden with problems and difficulties, but we do not go about our daily life alone, Christ Jesus comes with us wherever we go. I have found in life people act the way they do because they themselves are experiencing some difficulty, they are carrying their cross. It is helpful to excuse people on this basis, because unless someone was truly suffering they would not lash out at another verbally or otehrwise unless they were suffering inside.

You sound like a loving and sensitive person and I would say if you begin to look at others as the suffering Christ, you would bring great kindness and healing to those who act as they do because their life is lacking Christ Jesus in all of His kindness, mercy and love. So few people are treated kindly.

Don’t fear the solitude, but reach out also. Go to places you can meet like minded people of your age group. Perhaps this could be within your Parish, or go some place , some group, where you can pursue a hobby you have among people who like doing the same thing.

My mother retired seven years ago and she never looked back, she goes to craft groups, makes things to sell for charity and never has a minute. She does the Church accounts and she helps at various sales at Church. She walks her dogs and she has many friends through doing this. She has not withdrawn, but she does relish her private time alone which she has filled with everything she loves and enjoys.

Be kind to yourself, retiring is a large milestone in life and I hope you enjoy it and find many ways of making it a rich and rewarding experience as life is always rich and very beautiful whatever stage of life we are in and Jesus is always with everyone:) .

In the Living Prayer of my life

I think some people are more ‘cut out’ for solitude than others. Personally I would love solitude but have to make the opportunity. I make time for solitude and prayer only for the telephone to ring or someone knock on the door. Part of me thinks ‘Good grief who is this now!’ and I have to remind myself that Jesus is on the telephone or standing at my door and I will meet Jesus there in those people.

I think it is good to accept one’s state in life and not to fight against it, this will only lead to a lack of peace inside oneself. In accepting who we are and where we are in life and those around us we are at peace and don’t have that constant restlessness.

I also think we mustn’t be too rigid in our lives in the respect of how we want it to be. The Holy Spirit is always moving us along and does not work against our natural inclinations, rather He develops those. You could say, He works with us, not against us. In working with us, the Holy Spirit reveals new things about ourselves that we didn’t know, nor know we were capable of.

When I was younger I would often see my plans, my ideals amount to nothing. I soon learnt not to plan in my head without seeking what it is that God desires of me.

People are always problematic, but in being problematic we challenge each other to grow in virtue. From this standpoint which I believe is true, I soon learnt to like the people who irritated me most, they became a curiosity for me as undoubtedly they revealed something about myself that is lacking. I have an Aunt, she irritates the life out of me, but if I place my hand on my heart, she is infact one of the most generous people I know in regards to giving of herself and time to myself and my child. I came to the conclusion I was not generous enough to her, I did not generously overlook those irirtating ways of her personality that really are minor and of no fault or failing really. She increased in me the virtue of generosity purely because I see her regularly (almost everyday) and I didn’t withdraw from her because she caused certain reactions within me. I am sure there is something if not more one than one thing in me that irritates the life out my Aunt, but she still loves me and is very generous towards me.

I don’t think it is necessarily a good idea to withdraw from people on the basis that they are difficult; everyone is difficult. This is not why we seek solitude. If we withdraw for this reason, we are withdrawing into a void. We give nothing and we receive nothing. To withdraw for certain periods to seek solitude to be alone with God we do not go to God alone during these times but we take everyone we love and hold dear and we take all those we know, even those who cause us pain and heartache and we take all of this and all of ourself and our faults and failings to God in these times of prayer.

I don’t recommend you be alone on the basis you are saying.I will say this and if I am on the wrong track, say so and it is not meant to cause you any hurt, but meant for your welfare and spiritual good. I think it will compound your feelings that seem to stem from feeling unaccepted by others to withdraw as you have outlined. You are acceptable, Jesus freely accepts you as you are. Solitude is most wonderful when we know in our hearts we are loved and acceptable despite our faults and failings. It is not wonderful when we feel we are unacceptable. I believe your critical outlook on others and their ‘problems’ and them ‘being difficult’ stem from how you have been taught to see yourself and so you choose to retreat from them.

continued
Yes, I do choose to retreat and I don’t see that as a bad thing. I have had this struggle all of my life and so has my husband. It has become very weary and I no longer seem to have the desire nor patience to deal with it all. I enjoy others company but I am drained by it. I find quiet time alone refreshing and fullfilling but I did not mean to imply that I plan to live in a cave. Maybe my work has just been too overwhelming lately. There seem to be so many unhappy, dissatisfied, and angry people. It has gotten weary. So, now the thought of leaving this craziness is very appealing.

When I feel unaccepted and withdraw it gives me time to regroup and build my self-esteem. Retirement gives me the opportunity to develop friendships with those I choose and not have to deal with those in my work environment.

Sometimes I think the Lord draws us unto himself in a way that best fits our temperment. Drawing inward is very appealing to me.

I have lived alone in the main now for what must be over 25 years…I am hopeless with dates and passages of time:o

Trust The Lord always and ‘go with the flow’…if one feels a need to retreat and is able to do so, then do so and trust The Lord. If one feels a need to go out to people and one is able to do so, then do so and trust The Lord. In whatever one does, do it for God and with Him prayerfully. Of course, it is not so simple as that may sound…there can be confusions and doubts etc. along the way and when confusion and doubt comes along then one needs live in them even as one tries to sort oneself out. There are times when we really love every single person, there may be times when others are just a burden and a cross. There can be times of great consolation and times of aridity etc. etc., times of sudden trial and difficulty. No matter what is happening if Faith can insight that God is right in it with one…this is a great gift. At all times, praise and thank The Lord no matter what is happening…and this is another great gift.

In Grace, we can be totally assured that all without exemption comes from The Lord…and He whom we take joy from joyfully, should we also then not take sorrow from joyfully - since all comes from the Heart of our Loving Father. This is from the book of Job basically. It is a part of our baptismal vocation to embrace the cross and as redemptive.

As BlessedStar said, there is a great case indeed for being content in wherever one may be at.

I used to have a little plaque on the wall here which I gave away to someone to whom it really appealled: “Dear Lord, help me to remember that nothing is going to happen today that You and I together cannot handle”…

If only I could follow always my own insights:o

Barb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back