Listening Prayer OK?

  • Thread starter Thread starter switalabe
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

switalabe

Guest
Hi CAF,

Is “Listening Prayer” ok?

I’m referring especially to the method of prayer that Fr. Benedict Groeschel CFR suggests in his book, Listening at Prayer ISBN 080912582X

The basic idea I got from this book is that one can pray by simply listening. In my case this means listening to the various noises of the building I’m in, street noises, murmured conversation in other rooms, etc.

I guess I sort of see how this brings me closer to God but not sure.

Thanks
Ben
 
hrm, actually after looking at the Amazon reviews I think I may have mis understood what Fr. G. meant in this book. Seems like he wants us to listen to the Liturgy, and to Scriptures, and so forth – not to our air conditioner. Anyway, help still appreciated.
 
Hi CAF,

Is “Listening Prayer” ok?

I’m referring especially to the method of prayer that Fr. Benedict Groeschel CFR suggests in his book, Listening at Prayer ISBN 080912582X

The basic idea I got from this book is that one can pray by simply listening. In my case this means listening to the various noises of the building I’m in, street noises, murmured conversation in other rooms, etc.

I guess I sort of see how this brings me closer to God but not sure.

Thanks
Ben
An old saying goes, “Listen twice as much as you speak”. A dialogue in prayer with God is not a PowerPoint presentation where we do all the talking. Petition prayer is good, but we should also listen for God’s response.
 
It takes practice to listen to the Lord, and it is important to our prayer life. You can sit in His Presence quietly and picture him if you like. You can make acts of faith, hope, and love in your own words. And then just sit and be aware that He is closer than you can imagine and loves you without limit.
 
hrm, actually after looking at the Amazon reviews I think I may have mis understood what Fr. G. meant in this book. Seems like he wants us to listen to the Liturgy, and to Scriptures, and so forth – not to our air conditioner. Anyway, help still appreciated.
LOL @ listening to our air conditioner. Listening to liturgy (while I drive or relax) is helpful. Would listening to hail mary, rosary, or a novena count as well?
Listening to “nothing” could be seen as meditation 🙂
 
The best place to listen is before the Tabernacle where Jesus is waiting to pour out his graces upon us.

It is very good to just sit in his presence and not chatter away. I myself find this hard to do. Seems we always have the desire to talk to Jesus, but do we stop to listen??

Teresa of Avila and Fr. Benedict Groeschel are excellent and highly orthodox and accepted spirtual guides in the Catholic Church.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top