Little Office or Magnificat

• Thread starter Thread starter jasm
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jasm

I was recently enrolled in the Brown Scapular and at the time I asked my priest if I could say the Rosary instead of the Little Office. I have a copy of the Little Office, but I just got my first issue of the Magnificat and would really like to pray that. The morning, evening and night prayers, mass readings, Saint biographies…it’s just a cool little magazine. Would it be doing Our Lady a disservice to use the Magnificat instead of The Little Office Of The Blessed Virgin Mary?:confused:

If you have replaced the Little Office with the Rosary with the permission of a priest…then you have no obligation to pray the Little Office.

If you don’t want to pray a daily rosary and want to replace that with prayers from Magnificat…then you would probably have to ask a priest to get the full promises of the scapular.

But our Lady at Fatima prescribed praying the rosary daily, so you might want to keep praying a rosary every day for you scapular obligation and just pray from Magnificat in addition to that, the latter having nothing specifically to do with the scapular.

Considering that the Office is the other official liturgy of the Church, and the Rosary, while a beautiful devotion, is a devotion rather than official liturgy, I would wonder if the request was based on personal preference and not an understanding that by saying the Office, you are actively participating in the Liturgy?

Considering that the Office is the other official liturgy of the Church, and the Rosary, while a beautiful devotion, is a devotion rather than official liturgy, I would wonder if the request was based on personal preference and not an understanding that by saying the Office, you are actively participating in the Liturgy?
You are right. I understand that the Office is the other official liturgy of the Church, so it is a matter of personal preference. I never am sure which antiphons ect. I am to say when I use the Little Office and I’ve not been able to find much help online. When ever I come to the word “or”…I’m lost. In the Magnificat it’s all laid out. Do you know of any guide or help online for praying the Little Office?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back