A
Apollos
Guest
How do I calculate what percentage of the Mass is Biblical?
Occasionally I hear objections that the Mass isn’t Biblical. Some objections seem to mean the *concept *of the Mass isn’t Biblical, but some seem to mean the *words *aren’t Biblical. For the sake of responding to the latter sense, I’d like to do a little statistical work on Biblical quotations and allusions in the texts of the Mass.
I can’t do this I work out some definitions. How do I decide what percentage of a written text is quotation or allusion to another? Do I count the number of English words that are part of direct quotations (for example the Holy Holy Holy is all direct quotation from Isaiah and Luke), then tally words that are allusions (like here and there in the Creed), and then divide by the total number of words in the Order of Mass?
(Also, related, how would I calculate what percentage of the Bible is read in the Lectionary? Do I count numbers of verses or numbers of English words?)
Occasionally I hear objections that the Mass isn’t Biblical. Some objections seem to mean the *concept *of the Mass isn’t Biblical, but some seem to mean the *words *aren’t Biblical. For the sake of responding to the latter sense, I’d like to do a little statistical work on Biblical quotations and allusions in the texts of the Mass.
I can’t do this I work out some definitions. How do I decide what percentage of a written text is quotation or allusion to another? Do I count the number of English words that are part of direct quotations (for example the Holy Holy Holy is all direct quotation from Isaiah and Luke), then tally words that are allusions (like here and there in the Creed), and then divide by the total number of words in the Order of Mass?
(Also, related, how would I calculate what percentage of the Bible is read in the Lectionary? Do I count numbers of verses or numbers of English words?)