Liturgy of the Hours/Christian Prayer

• Thread starter Thread starter DBT
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DBT

Recently I’ve begun praying Morning and Evening Prayer from Christian Prayer and I had a few questions:
  1. For Morning Prayer, is the Invitatory optional or required?
  2. Is the proper sequence for the psalms: antiphon, psalm, Glory Be, repeat antiphon then psalm-prayer?
  3. When given a choice between the normal daily reading or an optional Saint reading, are there any guidelines on which I should choose or is it simply my choice?
  4. Also, many people in my parish pray from the Magnificat. What is this in relation to Morning and Evening Prayer?
This gets to be a bit confusing so I want to make sure I’m doing it right. Thanks!

(This is just a try, i can stand corrected and would appreciate being so)

1 - Invitatory is not part of the Morning Prayer. So it’s optional.

2 - Psalm-prayer then repeat antiphon.

3 - You choose.

4 - In the Magnificat, Morning and Evening prayes are found. along with some other stuff.

Hi there!

In my Christian Prayer book which I use for the Hours the instructions are both in the front of the book and again in the middle section that starts the four week Ordinary. Hope that helps.

Peace and all good,

Thomas2

P.S. I use the Invitatory. It helps me get recollected/focused.

40.png
DBT:
Recently I’ve begun praying Morning and Evening Prayer from Christian Prayer and I had a few questions:
  1. For Morning Prayer, is the Invitatory optional or required?
    The Invitatory must be said prior to your first prayer of the day (whether Office of Readings or Morning (Lauds)); however the Psalm may be omitted when saying the Invitatory prior to Morning prayer
  2. Is the proper sequence for the psalms: antiphon, psalm, Glory Be, repeat antiphon then psalm-prayer?
    Right!
  3. When given a choice between the normal daily reading or an optional Saint reading, are there any guidelines on which I should choose or is it simply my choice?
    The Saint Reading should typically substitute for the 2nd reading and the Common of Saints should substitute one of the Hours, whether Morning, Daily or Evening; I usually substitute the Daily.
  4. Also, many people in my parish pray from the Magnificat. What is this in relation to Morning and Evening Prayer?
    The Magnificat is prayed during the Evening prayer and is the same as the Canticle of Mary.
This gets to be a bit confusing so I want to make sure I’m doing it right. Thanks!
Hope this helps!!! I have been praying the Divine Office for over a year and love it!!!

God bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back