Liturgy of the hours

• Thread starter Thread starter markinohio
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

markinohio

How do you say the liturgy of the hours? I got the book but now i’m confused. I need help. Thanks in advance Mark :confused:

ROTFL… good luck. seriously, good luck!

Try to find a group near you…until you get the hang of it, it will seem very, very complicated.

Which one do you have, the LOTH(4 book set), or the shorter (red book)?

I really, really, suggest seeing if there is a group near you which prays it, that will be easiest.

These sites may also be helpful:
liturgyhours.org/
liturgyhours.org/ <–I like that one best

If you can let us know what book you have, we can go from there 🙂

I’m curious about praying the LOTH too. Can anyone explain the difference between the LOTH and the prayers set out daily in the Magnificat? Is the daily prayer in the Magnificat part of the Divine Office, is it the same as the lesser office? I’m confused too.

Thanks

See liturgyhours.org/ Liturgy of the Hours Apostolate Click on Display and Booklet formats for entire day, pick your day, and then go for Display. You will need the new Adobe reader.

Robert in SD:
I’m curious about praying the LOTH too. Can anyone explain the difference between the LOTH and the prayers set out daily in the Magnificat? Is the daily prayer in the Magnificat part of the Divine Office, is it the same as the lesser office? I’m confused too.

Thanks
Robert and Mark –

The little offices in the Magnificat are highly abbreviated to make them easier for “normal” people to use. “Outliers” like us who want to pray the whole LOTH need instructions. It IS daunting to confront the 4 books.

One useful tool is the annual guide or rota – they usually include it with the books when you buy them.

The BEST tool, IMHO, is *The Divine Office for Dodos. *This book is available through the gift shop on the Confraternity of Penitents’ web site: www.penitents.org. If you follow the book page-by-page and don’t skip around, you will be praying the office smoothly, knowledgeably, and CORRECTLY in 90 days! It worked wonders for me.

Thanks all, Bought the book " the Divine Office for Dodos" seems to be pretty straight forward. Thanks again and God bless 👍

I got the black 1 volume with the zip cover and hymnal section, it comes with an insert guide for the year (which can be reordered next year for like $3) that gets you started on terms of what weeks use what pages of the psalter. and at the beginning of the book proper or each hour section (laud/vesper psalter, compline, prope rof saints, proper of seasons, office of dead etc) has a basic skeleton of the hour for you to imitate. its actually pretty easy one you do it regularly. the biggest issue is if you miss a day or your marker falls out, tryng to figure out the psalter week again!

40.png
Brain:
I got the black 1 volume with the zip cover and hymnal section, it comes with an insert guide for the year (which can be reordered next year for like $3) that gets you started on terms of what weeks use what pages of the psalter. and at the beginning of the book proper or each hour section (laud/vesper psalter, compline, prope rof saints, proper of seasons, office of dead etc) has a basic skeleton of the hour for you to imitate. its actually pretty easy one you do it regularly. the biggest issue is if you miss a day or your marker falls out, tryng to figure out the psalter week again!
Brain, you got one of the nicer editions of the one-volume Christian Prayer. 👍 And it looks like you’re on your way by following directions! I would still advise picking up a copy of The Divine Office for Dodos (www.penitents.org) because there are “tricks” you have to do on certain memorials that can pretty much drive you nuts! It also gives you the rationale and history behind the structure of the Office. I had been praying the Office for 3 years when I bought the book, and I learned a LOT! Even if you just confirm that what you are doing is correct, that alone is a good thing.

40.png
markinohio:
How do you say the liturgy of the hours? I got the book but now i’m confused. I need help. Thanks in advance Mark :confused:
Mark,

I’ve been praying the LOTH for about 6 months and it has made a huge difference in my prayer life. I started with the one volume Shorter Christian Prayer and then I quickly moved up to the 4 volume set. I struggled greatly in the beginning, but now I really look forward to praying it.

Here’s a book that helped me greatly: amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0814620280/103-2364456-5971035?v=glance

It was recommended by someone on this forum and it gives a lot of background info about the LOTH. An important feature of this book is that it has an explanation of each Psalm and Canticle in the 4 week psalter. Not only does it explain the original meaning of the psalms (as prayed by the Jewish people), it explains how to pray them with the Catholic Church (ex. the “king” is referring to Christ, the “enemy that threatens us” is the devil, Jerusalem could refer to Heaven or the Church, etc.)

I highly recommend that you try to stick with the LOTH. Once you get past some of the initial hurdles, you’ll love it.

God Bless,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back