LOH: 1 vol. vs. 4 volume

• Thread starter Thread starter awalt
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

awalt

I am going to pray tomorrow morning at Church, with the group that does the LOH. I found out yesterday they pray the 1 volume version, Christian Prayer. I have the 4 volume version. Should I take my prayer book to use, or are the prayers/readings different between the two versions?

Thanks!

The 4 Volume version is the one used by clergy and religious, while the 1 volume one is a revised version for the laity. I too pray the 4 volume one. The one volume one consists of only the morning and evening prayers. They are the same prayers as in yours but you’ll have to skip all the other parts when praying with the others.

Furlan,

??? I have the one-volume, and in Carmel we always prayed evening prayer with the nuns who also used the one-volume. All of the prayers are there, so I don’t understand you. Day-time, office of readings, night prayer are all there. Maybe in the bigger set you don’t have to flip so much, as there is more room to print everything out consecutively??? I never saw it, so I’m guessing.

Awalt,

I don’t see any problem for tomorrow morning, for there is no saint of the day, and it should go straight through the prayer without flipping to another section. It may be that your volume may not have the invitatory psalm printed out after the beginning antiphon. You may have to find it elsewhere in your breviary. I have a card with the four options for this, and it also has the Canticles of Zechariah and Mary so I don’t have to rely on reading the smaller print. 😉

40.png
Joysong:
Furlan,

??? I have the one-volume, and in Carmel we always prayed evening prayer with the nuns who also used the one-volume. All of the prayers are there, so I don’t understand you. Day-time, office of readings, night prayer are all there. Maybe in the bigger set you don’t have to flip so much, as there is more room to print everything out consecutively??? I never saw it, so I’m guessing.
The main difference between the one and four volumn sets are the Office Readings. They are different for each day and there are special readings for specific Saints and Feast days. For many of us, we get more out of the Office Readings than any other part of the LOH.

I have both, but I prefer the four volumn set.

PF

40.png
Joysong:
Furlan,

Religious are encouraged to pray the entire LOH but are only required to say the Morning and Evening prayers. Everything that is obligatory for them to say is in the one volume. In addition to that, what Wander says is true.

from what i have seen in my 1 vol

1 vol has explicit 4 week psalter for morning and evening. plus propers for seasons saints and various causes (for pastors, for virgins, for the dead etc) a 1 week rotation for the compline, and the general formula for doing a 1 week rotation of the prayers that are spaced at 3 hour intervals. the terces sects and nones are very very confusing in the 1 volume and incoplete i think and not really worth it. the office of readinsg is also greatly decreased in reading materials from the 4 volume set.
but if you are just doing lauds vespers (or even compline) the 1 volume will work just fine.

i really like my 1 volume but may need to upgrade next year

I have the one volume Daily Prayer…it includes Morning, Evening and Prayer During The Day (Terce, Sext, None) as well as Night Prayer. It has all the various Commons as well as Feastdays. There is an index of suitable hymns for each season etc. as well as poems suitable for various seasons etc.
I have a separate volume which includes The Office of Readings with both first and second Readings and Psalter…as well as feastdays, solemnities etc. etc. as in Daily Prayer.
For when I am out and about I have the small Office of Our Lady which fits into a handbag snugly.

Barb

The only difference I find is that the psalms for the Office of Readings are sometimes different. [It has psalms for the four week cycle, not for feasts etc. However these are different from the four volume for the four week cycle on a couple of days.]

I have joined our morning prayer group at Church, and they do the 1 volume, so I got one. Thanks all, and I am really happy to be part of that group!

40.png
awalt:
I am going to pray tomorrow morning at Church, with the group that does the LOH. I found out yesterday they pray the 1 volume version, Christian Prayer. I have the 4 volume version. Should I take my prayer book to use, or are the prayers/readings different between the two versions?

Thanks!
Only difference is the scipture readings are generally a litle longer in Christian Prayer

Alright, having extensively used both:

They are virtually identical except for the following:
  1. As was stated above, the new testament reading, for some readings, is a bit longer in the 1-volume. I have no clue why this is.
  2. The 1-volume is completely missing the office of readings. It claims to have some of it… but its virtually useless.
  3. The 1 volume only has the midmorning/midday/midafternoon prayers for week 1. It is missing weeks 2-4, and special midday prayers for feasts.
That having been said, they are completey the same (except for the few readings mentioned in comment 1) for Morning, Evening, and Night prayer.

Josh

40.png
awalt:
I have joined our morning prayer group at Church, and they do the 1 volume, so I got one. Thanks all, and I am really happy to be part of that group!
Very happy:) to hear you have found your way and to a happy place to be…joy and peace with the one volume, I use it too! …sounds all good to me! Thanks for sharing!

Peace…Joy…Barb:)

40.png
threej_lc:
Alright, having extensively used both:

They are virtually identical except for the following:
  1. As was stated above, the new testament reading, for some readings, is a bit longer in the 1-volume. I have no clue why this is.
  2. The 1-volume is completely missing the office of readings. It claims to have some of it… but its virtually useless.
  3. The 1 volume only has the midmorning/midday/midafternoon prayers for week 1. It is missing weeks 2-4, and special midday prayers for feasts.
That having been said, they are completey the same (except for the few readings mentioned in comment 1) for Morning, Evening, and Night prayer.

Josh
The lack of the Office of Readings is why I prefer to use the 4 volume set. I have a frined who prays the hours with his wife-she uses Christian prayer he uses the 4 volume LOH. He says , with a laugh, they always uese his volume for the Scipture reading!

I just moved from Shorter Christian Prayer to the 1 vol version. I use Universalis and my wife’s 4 vol set for the Office of the Readings where needed.

That works well.

Joe Kelley:
I just moved from Shorter Christian Prayer to the 1 vol version. I use Universalis and my wife’s 4 vol set for the Office of the Readings where needed.

That works well.
IThe only problem wth Universalis is the translations of the Psalms are different. Als often they dont have the Second reding for the OOR

40.png
furlan1985:
The 4 Volume version is the one used by clergy and religious, while the 1 volume one is a revised version for the laity. I too pray the 4 volume one. The one volume one consists of only the morning and evening prayers. They are the same prayers as in yours but you’ll have to skip all the other parts when praying with the others.
I accidently bought vol. 1 of the 4 volume set. When I looked at it, I could only imagine that the clergy and other vocations would pray to that length.

Thank you for the clarification. I’ll look for the 1 volume version for most of the year and pray like a priest during Advent and Christmas. :gopray2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back