Looking for a good gift bible

  • Thread starter Thread starter SavedbyHisBlood
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SavedbyHisBlood

Guest
Hello all!

I am searching for a good gift bible, it will be for my daughter who is due to be born Feb 26th. I am planning on it being a baptism gift.

I want the bible to have a white cover, and if possible have pictures. I’m not partial to the cover type (leather, hardback, or softback).

Preferably, I would like to find an RSV-2CE, in white, with pictures if possible. I would settle for a GNT (Catholic version obviously) that is white, with pictures if possible.

I would probably be ok with a similar easy to understand Catholic translation (JB, NJB, etc). I’ll probably not get a Douay since the language is archaic and hard to understand. I want to stay away from the NAB also as i find the translation shaky…

Suggestions or links would be awesome! 👍
Thanks!!
 
If I understand you correctly, your child is yet to be born? In that case, your decision would be based on what you hope to accomplish by giving her a Bible now. If it is simply to be a keepsake for her baptism as a baby, it matters little what translation it is, as long as it’s Catholic and aesthetically beautiful. If you are buying it in the hope that she will want to use it when she gets old enough to do so, this gift may be a little premature. I say that because, by that time (a period that could be 7-10 or more years from now) there may be better translations and versions that come out that would serve her better. Aesthetic tastes change over time as well; a Bible cover, font and layout that looks spiffy now might look tacky and outdated to her when the time comes.

I like your thought, but I think I’d wait on this one until she’s closer to the right age. 🙂
 
I am searching for a good gift bible, it will be for my daughter who is due to be born Feb 26th. I am planning on it being a baptism gift.

I want the bible to have a white cover, and if possible have pictures. I’m not partial to the cover type (leather, hardback, or softback).

Preferably, I would like to find an RSV-2CE, in white, with pictures if possible. I would settle for a GNT (Catholic version obviously) that is white, with pictures if possible.

I would probably be ok with a similar easy to understand Catholic translation (JB, NJB, etc). I’ll probably not get a Douay since the language is archaic and hard to understand. I want to stay away from the NAB also as i find the translation shaky…

Suggestions and links would be awesome!
Thanks!!

EDIT:

I tried to post this earlier and it gave me an error, i did not realize that it posted anyway till after i posted this, and i don’t know how to delete it… If a Mod wants to delete it go ahead… Sorry for the double post.
 
I absolutely love the idea that you will give your newborn baby a keepsake Bible at the time of her or his birth. It will be a lifetime treasure and show your own reverence for the Word. Your child will always view this as a very special gift. Don’t worry about anything such as the latest style, etc. And as for the type, I have no suggestions other than to say, shop around online as you can get lots of information and view them, or talk to a Catholic bookstore owner or manager who spends lots of time ordering and reviewing catalogs.
 
My little girl loves that her baptism bible is personalized. It makes her really proud, and she understands that it is her own very special bible.
I wish though that her bible was large print. It would have made the text more accessible to her earlier.
 
My little girl loves that her baptism bible is personalized. It makes her really proud, and she understands that it is her own very special bible.
I wish though that her bible was large print. It would have made the text more accessible to her earlier.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top