Looking for a Shy Saint That was a Priest

• Thread starter Thread starter Dave
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave

I have a friend that is thinking about the priesthood, but he is apprehensive because he is a shy person, and worries about his abilities to interact with parishoners.

Can anybody think of a Saint I can point him to that shared these characteristics? I think it would be very helpful for him to read about the life of a saint that struggled with the same sort of introverted personality, and of course a Saint to whom he can relate and pray to for guidance.

Thanks in advance…

Saint Thomas was called the “Dumb Ox” or something to that effect because of his humility and shyness. But he was a master of theology and the greatest Doctor of the church. I would say to check him out. Remind your friend that his personality “off-stage” is different from his personality on the altar. On the altar he is the mouth-piece and must look to God for that “strength,” while his personality away from the altar is his own personality that will contribute to his character as an individual Christian.

I’ll pray for your friend,
Aaron Magnan

I think the best example is moses. Remeber his discussion with the burning bush?
God says; “Go talk to the head of egypt and free my people”
Moses says “But i st-st-stutter. I can’t speak”
God says “you bafoon, I will be with you. DONT FEAR”
(obviously i’ve paraphrased in my own words.)
If your friend can confirm that he is being called by God to the priesthood, than he has nothing to fear. Why would God give a calling and not the equipment to fulfill it? I saw a saying on someones signature that read “God doesn’t call the equiped, He equips the called”. Remember, God’s got sorta a theatrical sense of humor. He seems to get a kick out of calling people to a design that doesn’t seem to fit their abilities. He knows what will happen, we will realize that are own strength will fail us, and we will have to trust in God. And then… PRAISE GOD… then he starts to really shake our lives.
Remind your friend not to be afraid, God has much in store.

The Cur of Ars St. John Vianney, is one who was timid and had alot of trouble with school work. I love his humility and simpleness. He is the patron saint of Parsih priest!

I second the Cure’ of Ars. We had a whole sermon about him last week, and have a new statue of him to encourage us to pray and light votives for the cause of vocations.

Remind your friend that no priest is alone. The Holy Spirit will inform his work and help him overcome his difficulties.

I would tell your friend not to worry, have faith in the Lord. Our parish priest is very shy and socially awkward, but he is a great priest. I am somewhat shy myself, so he is a huge inspiration for me.

St. Joseph of Cupertino - See if you can find the movie, “The Reluctant Saint”. Excellent. You may have to call Catholic book stores to find it.

Thank you so much. This is all more helpful than you know. Thanks for helping to foster a possible vocation. If you can think of any more, keep 'em coming 🙂

While we´re aiding this future priest, I want to suggest reading Book 3 Chapter 10 in ¨The Imitation of Christ.¨ I am preparing for the consecration to the Virgin Mary, and that is part of the suggested reading for the cleansing before consecration. It is strange to me, although I can apply it to my lay life, but I remember thinking that it is very applicable to those who are doubtful of character.

Going to Google and typing in “Imitation of Christ E-Text” will take you there.

Aaron

I know that St. Timothy was a very shy Saint, but my computer is acting up, and I am not sure whether he was a priest or not.

But how about reminding your friend about Pope Benedict 16? By his own account, he was so shy that he thought that he might not be cut out to be a Parish priest. He did that, for a while, and then went on to so many roles not suited for a shy man. And now he is the Pope of all of us, the man who is our Holy Father. And I remember the day he stepped out on that balcony. From what I had heard about him, I expected maybe even a somewhat scary man. I saw instead a man with much shyness in his eyes. But even with that, I saw him raise his arms above his head, and smile a great smile, and take his position as Pope…maybe shy, but gentle, and loving and kind, and definitely up for the role.

If your friend needs a role model, what could possibly be better than that??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back