Looking for book on different types of Christian spirituality

• Thread starter Thread starter Madaglan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Madaglan

I’m wondering if there are good books out there that compare various types of Christian spirituality. I know there are many books on a particular type of spirituality, but I’m more interested in a book that covers most or all, so that I can read through and point to which spirituality best suits my personality.

I read a book a few years ago called Discover your Spiritual Type. It was ok, but it was not based on Christian spirituality alone, and it didn’t really get very focused. Anyhow, any advice would be great!

:yup:

I don’t have any advice, but wanted to write that this topic is of great interest to me too. I have had an easier time grasping Carmelite spirituality, based on the writings of Teresa of Avila, John onf the Corss, and to a leser extent Therese of Lisieux. I have also come across a book on third order Franciscans and Franciscan spirtuality. However there are so many more types out there, which I would like to better understand.

I am familiar with the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius, but don’t have a firm grasp on what constitutes Ignatian Spirituality. I always think of the Jesuits as being great teachers, but I don’t recall anything directly that linked Ignatian spirituality to reading as much as is the case of Benedictines and Dominicans. I have read writings by Augustine, and likewise am unable to conceptualize how his spirituality differs from others.

Right now I am particularly trying to distinguish the difference between Benedictine spirituality and that of the Dominicans. Both seem dedicated to study and members of their orders read much. I know that Dominicans are also called orders of the preachers.

40.png
Madaglan:
I’m wondering if there are good books out there that compare various types of Christian spirituality. I know there are many books on a particular type of spirituality, but I’m more interested in a book that covers most or all, so that I can read through and point to which spirituality best suits my personality.

I read a book a few years ago called Discover your Spiritual Type. It was ok, but it was not based on Christian spirituality alone, and it didn’t really get very focused. Anyhow, any advice would be great!

:yup:
Madaglan…I’d also ike to see a good book or at least a collection of information on the Ecclesial movements within the Church. Also the Third Orders, etc.

Somehow I’ve gotten the impression that the Holy Spirit is calling you to something more than just a parish prayer group…

If I may ask, is the desire for holiness getting stronger in your life? Generally when this happens, the call of the Holy Spirit gets stronger and stronger.

I would imagine you are already praying to Him to help you see God’s Holy Will in your life.

Maria

One of my priest friends just told me about this book:

Catholic Spirituality from A to Z
It’s in dictionary form, so it doesn’t go into much detail with each entry; but it does offer a good overall view of all the different types of spirituality. :yup:

Catholic Spirituality from A to Z an Inspirational Dictionary by Susan Muto, Servant Publications, PO Box 8617, Ann Arbor Michigan 48107, copyright 2000. isbn 1-56955-160-X

Catholic Spiritual Classics by Mitch Finley, Sheed & Ward, PO Box 414292, Kansas City Mo 64141 (1987) isbn 1-55612-058-3

Journey Toward God: in the footsteps of the great spiritual writers, by Benedict Groeschel CFR, Servant Publications, Ann Arbor MI, 48107 isbn 1-56955-149-1

There is also much info on the internet. Try doing a google search on some of the entries in your dictionary.

Also remember Christian is not Catholic. If you are committed to your Catholic faith, make sure you are reaching a Catholic site, and check the credentials, preferably with strong clerical influence—there are many “do your own thing” sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back