Looking for this verse on the Holy Spirit

  • Thread starter Thread starter MarcoPolo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MarcoPolo

Guest
I can’t remember how it was worded. Something like “The Spirit goes where the Spirit wills” or something like that. (FYI, it’s not the passage about the Spirit distributing gifts as the Spirit wills)
 
Were you thinking of this verse?

The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit." John 3:8

Warm regards, Trishie
 
I checked my concise concordance and there are 601 entries for ‘spirit’ in the Bible, do you know if it was in the O.T. or the N.T.?
 
I did that and didn’t find it. Maybe I dreamt it… 😊
What other code words can you use? I was brought up on the KJV and still think of verses using those words. If you can think of any other words in the verse/other words the RSV might use for them, and if it’s a NT or OT reference, that could help.
 
I can’t remember how it was worded. Something like “The Spirit goes where the Spirit wills” or something like that. (FYI, it’s not the passage about the Spirit distributing gifts as the Spirit wills)
Were you thinking of this verse?

The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit." John 3:8

Warm regards, Trishie
MarcoPolo, I think Trishie may be correct in suggesting that John 3:8 is the source for this. In the sentence, “The wind blows wherever it pleases” the same Greek word used here for “wind” is also used for “Spirit”.
gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=John%2B3%3A8

I don’t know if there are any English Bibles that actually translate it as such in John 3:8, but here is a quote from a Protestant sermon which cites John 3:8. Here we see this saying, stated very closely to the way you did.

What Jesus said to Nicodemus he says to each one of us. “Don’t you understand? It’s like the wind.” (Remember, wind and spirit are the same word in the language Jesus spoke.) “The Spirit blows where the Spirit wills. You can’t see the Spirit, you don’t know from whence the wind comes or whither the Spirit goes.” In other words, you don’t have to be good enough to connect to God. God connects to you in the wind of the Spirit.

Source: pcsudbury.org/Sermons/090607.html

The strange thing is that this sermon uses the NRSV as its reference, but the NRSV actually uses “wind.” Nevertheless, based on what we see in this sermon, it seems that the phrase “The Spirit goes where the Spirit wills” (and slight variations of it) are derived from John 3:8. This might be more from an oral tradition (spread through preaching like this) than what has actually been used in the translations of English Bibles.
 
I have to agree with Eric. I too cannot think of any other verse that fits the words you are searching for, MarcoPolo. 🙂
 
=MarcoPolo;7334019]I can’t remember how it was worded. Something like “The Spirit goes where the Spirit wills” or something like that. (FYI, it’s not the passage about the Spirit distributing gifts as the Spirit wills)
Dear friend in Christ:

Does this work?

**1Cor.12: 11 **“All these are inspired by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills.”

**Rom.9: 18 **“So then he has mercy upon whomever he wills, and he hardens the heart of whomever he wills.”

Rom. 9:15 “For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”

God’s continued blessings,
Pat
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top