Lord I am not worthy

• Thread starter Thread starter Teresa9
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Teresa9

Dear friends

Despite all of our sins, at the point of the Mass where the Priest holds up into the air, the Eucharist and we say these words…‘Lord I am not worthy to receive you but only say the word and I shall be healed’, always means to me, I know I am not worthy of my Lord, but because He has willed it that if I am free from grave sin, then I am worthy, it is His will. This is such HOPE and a source of such PEACE and JOY!!!

What are your thoughts on this?

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

This used to be my favorite part while attending Mass, it filled me with much joy and love, as you’ve also stated, and through the joy and love was a sense of comfort that couldn’t be matched for me in very many other parts of Mass. It’s actually one of the most outstanding of memories I have of church. It displays perfectly the true power of God’s love, to be healed from what in the past may have brought ourselves and God, pain or grief can suddenly become another obstacle overcame by God’s will never fails to inspire me. Your bringing this up has actually brought it’s own sense of comfort, as I believe those words said in Mass carry the heart of what God has always tried to convey to us.

Love Always and From,
Karynna Raye

As time goes on and I am getting older, the words I am not worthy are slowly taking on more significance. In the process of getting closer to God, I am now noticing a greater distance, my perceptions are changing, and I feel more sinful than I used to. There is a tendency to discard the fear of God as some folly, but I see the growing fear as a realization of who he might be and who we are. I realize this sounds a bit contradictory, but somehow it makes perfect sense.

“…only say the word and I shall be healed.” That part is so profound to me! If He only says the word I shall be healed!! *I *shall be healed! How broken I am and how I desire to be healed, yes, and if He only says the word I *shall *be. This is *so *powerful! My eyes often well up with tears at that point. How thankful I am for Him, for His presence. I simply owe my very life to Him. :amen:

I am also instructed when I remember this echoes the prayer of the centurion who asked healing for his servant, and that Jesus commented to all those about them on the great faith of one who was not even Jewish.

Paul wrote (Col. 1:21-22), “NOt long ago, you were foreigners and enemies, in the way that you used to think and the evil things that you did; but now He has reconciled you, by his death and in that mortal body. Now you are able to appear before Him holy, pure, and blameless…” No, we, in and of ourselves, are not worthy, but He “says the word,” and makes us worthy to come before Him and receive Him.

That is what I am finding so wonderful about worship in the Mass. As a fundamentalist, I could confess my unworthiness and repent of my sin, and then–nothing. As a Catholic I will be able to confess my unworthiness, but then Jesus “says the word,” and I can go forward and receive Him into my own body. Five months to go–can’t wait! :bounce:

(For the once-saved-always-saved crowd, verse 23 goes on to say, “…as long as you persevere and stand firm on the solid base of the faith…”)

DaveBj

40.png
tru_dvotion:
As time goes on and I am getting older, the words I am not worthy are slowly taking on more significance. In the process of getting closer to God, I am now noticing a greater distance, my perceptions are changing, and I feel more sinful than I used to. There is a tendency to discard the fear of God as some folly, but I see the growing fear as a realization of who he might be and who we are. I realize this sounds a bit contradictory, but somehow it makes perfect sense.
Yes. I do agree with you. As you get closer you are aware of your human sin and His Goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back