Loss of a pet

• Thread starter Thread starter savone
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

savone

His/her name was (name of pet), who was the best (type of pet) that I’ve known. When (pet’s name) died, I felt as though (how you felt).

This is how my faith (helped/did not help) shape my thoughts about God’s creation, offered comfort and solace, and inspired me.

In memory of a wonderful, wonderful creature who came into my life, filled it with love, and, then, he was gone… :blessyou:

Many, names; T.T., Sloe, Tip, Bear, Charlie… all wonderful cats and dogs who each gave 10 times the love and affection I lavished on them.
When each died, I held them, cried hard tears and took them home to bury.
My faith tells my heart that God loves all His creation and that their lives were valuable to Him.
The love of an animal is the most unselfish love I know on earth. I like to believe that they reflect the love God has for us.

Their names were Danny Boy, Thomas, Bobby, Albie and Harley, who were the best, Danny Boy was a dog and the rest cats, that I’ve known. When my pet’s died, I held them in my arms, made the Sign of the Cross over them, blessed them and wept and wept, I felt as though I had lost good and faithful friends who loved more than I loved them, who gave more than I ever gave and who by knowing them enriched my life in many ways bringing me alot of joy and companionship. I am constantly amazed at how this friendship between human and animal is possible and how a dog will protect their mistress without any regard for their own safety.

My faith helped in that I know all animals have a soul and I know God will provide for their souls in some manner, that His hand is on everything created and that He gave those animals to me for a reason. I saw in them the beauty of God’s creation and I saw how human and animal can live in harmony and friendship. I love and miss them all and hope that perhaps one day I may see them again. I have had them all cremated and when I am buried they will be buried with me.

In loving memory of the wonderful, wonderful creatures who came into my life, filled it with love, and, then, they were gone…

Thank you Lord for the wonder of your Creation. God’s Blessings on all my smaller brothers and sisters without whom life would be very much the poorer.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

40.png
springbreeze:
Thank you Lord for the wonder of your Creation. God’s Blessings on all my smaller brothers and sisters without whom life would be very much the poorer.
:amen:

For Tommy

Though conceived in a cage,
Born in a cage,
And condemned to live (contradiction in terms)
In a cage,
I promise, little brother, that you will not die
In a cage.
For when your time comes, as it soon must,
Since a hamster’s life is very short,
I promise that I shall take you,
Palpitating bright-eyed hot little ball of fur,
Out of that cruel cage,
Out from the book-lined study where you used to play
Until you tired of its limits and constraints,
And where you had to be watched with such care
For fear you might get hurt,
Out even beyond the living room
You were occasionally allowed to explore,
Where you would scurry about
Vainly seeking an opening
Into that larger world beyond
That you knew must be there,
So powerful was the urge in you
Always to be moving beyond.

Yes, little love, I promise
That you shall enter that world, and there
Beneath the stars, after such long exile,
I shall watch over you, keeping you from owl’s beak,
Cat’s claws, rat’s teeth,
While your tiny inquisitive heart
Beats out its last.

But now, while there’s still time,
I feel that I must thank you, Tommy,
For all that you taught me:
Of the importance of chewing one’s food
Thoroughly and attentively;
Of how, when hungry, one should eat,
When tired, sleep;
Of how few, and simple, are our real needs;
Of the will, and personality, that exist
In even the tiniest of creatures;
And most important of all
Of how life, both yours and mine, was never intended
To be as it is;
Of how we were born to move,
Laughing, playing, and exquisitely equipped,
Through a scene itself in constant motion,
Looking, listening, sniffing, touching, tasting,
Fascinated by its riches, savoring its infinite delights,
And exulting in freedom.

Forgive me, dear Tommy, for failing to understand
That all power is evil,
That life was never meant to be caged.
Forgive me for not realizing, at once, that you too
Were a person,
And with a wisdom deeper than ours,
A wisdom lost long ago by men.
For you knew that life is freedom,
And, though you could never understand
Why I had to deny you yours,
Never did you judge or condemn me,
And for that I shall always stand humbled.

Sleep now, little friend, and dream
Of that freedom I could never give you,
Of your home in the hot Syrian desert, your dark burrow beneath,
Of those sparkling nights when you would emerge
In search of food, of the excitement of the find,
The joy of stuffing your cheek-pouches,
Of those secret and delicious feasts below ground
Before drifting back to sleep.

Soon you will move forever beyond
Man’s reach, and finally be free
To enjoy your life . . . . . . . . . . . . . . in death.

29 Sep '93

Note:

Tommy took ill with pneumonia and died on May 23rd, 1995. He was cremated and his ashes were buried on Mount Diablo in California. The day he died I took him into the garden that morning. He was ill and no longer able to walk, but it was a beautiful sunny day and he was fascinated by the smells and sounds and sights. I had to leave, and when I returned home later in the day I found him dead. His eyes were open, and he’d crawled halfway across his box as if trying to get back to the garden. I hadn’t been able to keep my promise. It was Tommy who first taught me about the importance of freedom.

As this day draws to a close, we remember T.T., Sloe, Tip, Bear, Charlie, Danny Boy, Thomas, Bobby, Albie, Harley, Tommy, and Cody.:blessyou:

So far, the two who meant most to me were Pebbles, a wonderful, cheerful cockatiel, and Penny, a loyal, intelligent, and funny dog. Both of them died very suddenly. I watched Pebbles as he went from seeming perfectly healthy to dying in less than thirty seconds. Penny was a little sick one day, and I thought she would recover. She didn’t, and that night, she died. It was harder for me when Penny died, both because she was a bigger part of my life than Pebbles was and because I felt like I should have been able to notice Penny’s sickness as something serious and help her. Even now, I get tears in my eyes when I think of her death, over nine months later. My faith helped me when both pets died. When Pebbles died, I remembered Luke 12:6 “Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten in God’s sight.” This encouraged me that God knew what happened to Pebbles.
Penny’s death occurred the day after I had returned from a trip to El Salvador. That morning, I took pictures of her and some of our other pets with the film I hadn’t used on the camera. The pictures of her were the only ones that turned out when I developed them that afternoon. My faith helped me when she died because I felt like God had made sure I would be able to see her before she died. She had been miserable while I was gone, so I was glad that she knew that I hadn’t abandoned her and didn’t die thinking I had forsaken her. I felt like God made sure I would be able to see her and get pictures of her. This helped because it reminded me that in the midst of our darkest times, God always gives us what we need to get through the storm. It also reminded me that God cares for me, even in the details like my love for my dog which might seem insignificant in the grand scheme of things.
I think God definitely used Penny in my life, but that’s a whole other story, and my post is already long enough.

We had twin Bassett Hounds, the youngest and the litter runt Jessica died two years ago at age 9 (too soon). Her sister Kelsey is 12 now, and is failing fast - she may not last the next week. We’ll miss her terribly :crying:

…i have owned 4 rough collies (looks like lassie)…

tiny, sandy, cody, and now bear…

of the three that are gone i have fond memories… (but that’s it)

bear, is still with us… when he buys the farm, i will bury him on it and he will be my last pet… the kids are all grown now…

…there was, is, and will be, a soft place for the memories for all those pets in my heart…

…but, they are just that, pets… none of them worth one human being, regardless of affiliation…

Peace:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back