Lost weight during pregnancy

  • Thread starter Thread starter gmarie21
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gmarie21

Guest
Any “pleasantly plump” mamas out there who lost weight safely during their pregnancy? I’m talking about those who are at least 30 pounds overweight at the beginning of pregnancy. If so, how did you do it? I’m about 60 pounds overweight and was losing weight before I found out I was pregnant. I definitely will be hoping to not gain more than 10 pounds, but would in reality like to lose mama weight while gaining baby weight in a safe and healthy manner.
 
It is not safe to lose weight during pregnancy. However, if you stay on a healthy diet – eating about 300 calories extra for the baby, and avoiding any junk completely – you will probably naturally gain less than a thinner woman, and redistribute the weight you have a bit, so some can go to baby. Also, exercise is very healthy during pregnancy, and that is sure to help. However, don’t go on any extreme diets. Check with your doctor about what you want to do. But as long as you are eating healthy and listening to your appetite (i.e. don’t starve yourself if you feel hungry), it should be safe.

Afraid I’m not in the same boat as you … I was on the light side before and have gained over 25 lbs at 7 1/2 months. But I haven’t been restricting myself at all, and I admit I’m eating a lot of junk. I’m kind of okay with being a little heavier after the baby is born than I was before.

My advice is to try to lose the weight after the baby is born. Are you planning on nursing? My mom always lost weight without any effort when she was nursing. The pounds go onto the baby and stay off of you!
 
Actually, I’m classified as obese according to the bmi standards so not gaining a pound is quite safe for my size. I’m not looking to lose a lot of weight, just to either maintain this exact weight throughout the pregnancy or lose maybe 5 pounds total (I’d still be obese). Many obese women probably know what I’m talking about. And not everyone loses weight while breast feeding, I’m afraid I’d be one of them (since I didn’t with my daughter for the short while when I breast fed her).
 
Actually, I’m classified as obese according to the bmi standards so not gaining a pound is quite safe for my size. I’m not looking to lose a lot of weight, just to either maintain this exact weight throughout the pregnancy or lose maybe 5 pounds total (I’d still be obese). Many obese women probably know what I’m talking about. And not everyone loses weight while breast feeding, I’m afraid I’d be one of them (since I didn’t with my daughter for the short while when I breast fed her).
I’m in the “morbidly obese” category, about 75lbs overweight before pregnancy. I’ve gained about 8lbs total so far. My doctor doesn’t recommend ANY dieting or attempting to lose weight. Before you attempt to lose weight while pregnant, I’d really talk to your doctor about it. Changing your diet so you’re eating better is a good idea though…that’s why my craving for hot wings is so bad right now…🤷
 
Oh, and I’m 19 weeks pregnant. Several people have asked if I’ve lost weight, I think the baby IS rearranging my weight for me! I’ll take it! 😉
 
You shouldn’t be losing weight during pregnancy. I gained about 15 to 20 lbs with my last child and by the time I went to my 6 week postpartum check up, I weighed 10 lbs less than when I got pregnant. That’s the way to go.
 
Actually, you should talk to you doctor. And there are some studies that suggest that women who are obese CAN lose weight safely during pregnancy, of course it should ONLY be done under your doctor’s supervision and permission!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top