Love, feelings, works, and God

• Thread starter Thread starter KatarinaTherese
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KatarinaTherese

Sorry if this seems rather scatterbrained, but I’ve been thinking about it lately. I’ve been reading a lot of stuff by St. Therese, which makes me wonder, how much do I really love God? Now, I know love isn’t just a feeling (and I’m really thankful for that!). But love for God manifests itself in works, right? I’ve been pretty selfish lately, though, and it makes me wonder how much I actually love Him. I’m good at making commitments to God to change, and then minutes or hours later I break them. Which makes me think again, do I really love Him? So as you can see I’m sort of thinking in circles. Does anyone have any light to shed on this subject? Experiences? Right now I’m quite confused with myself.

I am experiencing something similar. I am reading the diary of St. Faustina (Divine Mercy).

I was actually speaking with a friend about this the other day, and without getting into the details of our conversation, I believe some of these saints are chosen before birth. Sure they have free will, but they are showered with graces from birth.

They are powerful saints and individuals chosen as God to serve as examples and testify to the very presence, love, and works of God himself.

I have relatively recently returned to the faith and have seen God working in my life in a very personal and direct way lately and so I have sought Spiritual Direction…I am terrified of going back to the life I lived before. I read the saints and question the graces God has given me…I am so not worthy of his attention.

I actually asked my SD today why these things happen to me…do they happen to everyone (some of them I KNOW do…God is very active). But I still question the blessings I have recieved.

I realizing I"m really questioning God’s love and so are you. We are all called to be saints, but that does not mean that God expects us all to be St. Theresa of Avila or St. John of the Cross. He calls us to be the saints that HE wants us to be. For some that is a very difficult, virtuous path which is a very long suffering, anonymous course. For some, they suffer in the limelite (John Paul II).

We are all members of the Body of Christ and if we follow him to the best of our ability we may become saints to some degree, even if not officially recognized by the Church.

I do firmly believe there are anonymous saints who have suffered for Christ and God did not will their names to be known…but He knows and someday we may meet these unknown saints and learn of their intercessions.

In any case you are called to follow your own path. If you have Perpetual adoration, try to spend at least 5 minutes with Jesus every day…and you will become more acquainted with him.

Find a Spiritual Director or at least try to find a Confessor you can go to frequently who can help you keep your own journey in perspective.

We are not called to be clones of known saints, but saints in our own right, in Jesus Christ our Lord. It is a difficult path, but there are those who succeed.

You could be one of them.

Dear Katarina,

I often read St. Therese for inspiration, too, and it is a good idea to remember that she wrote this heavenly wisdom at the pinnacle of perfection. We are still on the journey - not there yet. 😉 It helps us to see a goal, though, and we strive the best we can to follow her little way of love.

One thing that encourages me is that she wasn’t always this full of charity, but had to grow in virtue like the rest of us. Probably the best clue we can take from her is to be sensitive to the inspirations that God sends our way each day, and try to follow them. It is the “mind of Christ” within us that helps us to see the right path.

When you said, I’m good at making commitments to God to change, and then minutes or hours later I break them, I did not pick up that “breaking them” meant you were committing sins, but simply being sidetracked from a good inspiration or resolution. It seems these failures cause you to conclude that you are not loving God and/or being selfish.

I had occasion to answer a post elsewhere about the fig tree which was sterile, for it had nothing but leaves. If there are a lot of blossoms (good inspirations and desires to do good), be encouraged. Some of these blossoms “set” and go on to produce good fruit. God will not abandon you for missing the mark, but is a very good Gardener. He will send a bit of fresh fertilizer, water, and sunshine to awaken growth and help us keep blooming!

Joysong, that was a great post! Very well said.

It is hard to follow those daily inspirations from God, and no, he does not punish us because we are sidetracked and fail. We ARE on a journey and we stumble. God just picks us up and moves us on. It is our free will option to keep going forward and walk with Him on the path to sainthood where he ultimately wants us.

40.png
JCPhoenix:
It is hard to follow those daily inspirations from God, and no, he does not punish us because we are sidetracked and fail. We ARE on a journey and we stumble. God just picks us up and moves us on. It is our free will option to keep going forward and walk with Him on the path to sainthood where he ultimately wants us.
In the same vein, here’s a bit of Scripture concerning our first Pope. Remember that Jesus chose this man, Peter, to give to him the keys of the kingdom and to lead His flock here on earth. God does great things with us lowly humans, flawed as we are. He knows that we love Him, and He does not expect us to be perfect. He expects us to keep trying and to keep striving for holiness.

**Then Jesus said to them, “This night all of you will have your faith in me shaken, for it is written: ‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be dispersed’; but after I have been raised up, I shall go before you to Galilee.” **
**Peter said to him in reply, “Though all may have their faith in you shaken, mine will never be.” **Jesus said to him, "Amen, I say to you, this very night before the cock crows, you will deny me three times."
Peter said to him, “Even though I should have to die with you, I will not deny you.” And all the disciples spoke likewise.

**Now Peter was sitting outside in the courtyard. One of the maids came over to him and said, “You too were with Jesus the Galilean.” But he denied it in front of everyone, saying, “I do not know what you are talking about!” **
**As he went out to the gate, another girl saw him and said to those who were there, “This man was with Jesus the Nazorean.” Again he denied it with an oath, “I do not know the man!” **
**A little later the bystanders came over and said to Peter, “Surely you too are one of them; even your speech gives you away.” At that he began to curse and to swear, “I do not know the man.” And immediately a cock crowed. **Then Peter remembered the word that Jesus had spoken: “Before the cock crows you will deny me three times.” He went out and began to weep bitterly. (Matthew 26:31-35, 69-75)

Do you spend time in prayer each day? The more you spend time w/ God, the more you’ll love him. Read the gospels each day, say the Rosary, meditate on books by good, Catholic writers. Try to go to Mass more than once a week. Be sure you’re going to confession regularly. We can all be selfish - we’re human! But if you take steps to grow closer to God, you’ll slowly see yourself start to change for the better! —KCT

I go to Mass every day but I don’t feel love at all. I just like to go and I like the idea of God…

is that wrong?

Wow, all of these posts are amazing! Thanks everybody, you made my day. 🙂
40.png
KCT:
Do you spend time in prayer each day? The more you spend time w/ God, the more you’ll love him. Read the gospels each day, say the Rosary, meditate on books by good, Catholic writers. Try to go to Mass more than once a week. Be sure you’re going to confession regularly. We can all be selfish - we’re human! But if you take steps to grow closer to God, you’ll slowly see yourself start to change for the better! —KCT
The thing of it is, I have been spending more time in prayer each day, etc. But no matter how devoted I feel to God after praying and such, I always end up acting so self-centered. If I’m devoted and I love Him, shouldn’t I be more charitable? That’s what bothers me.

But thank you all. What beautiful, hopeful messages! I love it. I was reading and thinking, this is the reason I come to these boards. :blessyou:

the feelings are great, but the strength of the devotion and the fruit of prayer is not dependent on feelings, they are a very unreliable guide. the test is faithfulness in prayer. most great saints went through long periods of spiritual dryness when they felt no emotion, affection or consolation in prayer and good works. that they continued faithfully is spite of this is the way they became saints. that is the message of St. Therese

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back