I see it quite clearly as a prophecy about our present day abomination of abortion.
Being childless was seen as a curse or punishment. In sacred scripture we can trace it right from Sarah in Genesis through Rebekah , Rachel and Hannah, all the way to St John the Baptist’s mother Elizabeth,who, after conceiving says [Luke 1:25]
“The Lord has seen fit to remove my reproach among men” or, as rendered by the NAB :
“So has the Lord done for me at a time when he has seen fit to take away my disgrace before others.”
I believe the words “… people will say to the mountains, ‘Fall upon us!’ and to the hills, 'Cover us!” , are expressing sentiment similar to: “
Lord save us or preserve us from what is to come [after abortion if it does not abate] ; or , “Who can endure what is about to befall us next ?”
Compare those verses to Hosea10:8 and Revelation 6:16
Anyone aware of the utter magnitude of abortion has surely at one time or another heard those echoes in their hearts. In my country (Canada) alone, many more children are slain in the wombs of their mothers in two weeks, than the total of all those who perished in 911 . In 2008, this country’s Governor General’s office awarded Canada’s highest civilian honour – **The Order of Canada **, to the man most responsible for promoting, procuring and performing abortions here ; … for his (Ahem) “…work in the field of reproductive health alternatives for women.” And only a few months ago some of the G8 countries were trying to have
abortion technology exported to third world countries as a “health initiative” . It didn’t happen, but “abortion” ‘ s little brother – contraception made his way in there …
“
Happy are the wombs that never bore and the breasts that never nursed.”
Here :”…for if these things are done when the wood is green what will happen when it is dry?" , I believe “
these things” refers to the things they were doing to our Lord during His Passion. Subsequently I see “
when the wood is green” as our Lord is saying, “When I am still walking among you”
We are presently living “*when the wood is *dry” , or, as I see it, “long after our Blessed Lord walked among us as a man.”
I believe our Lord was telling the holy women , in their day when being childless was looked upon as a curse or punishment, that a day will actually come when being barren/childless will be extolled as something “good” , and having a child will be seen as a curse, so to speak…
Or as the unsettlingly congruent words of Presdent Obama himself put it :
“being punished with a baby”.
It isn’t rocket science. I think that particular prophecy of our Lord is being fulfilled in our present day… in a most lamentable way.