Lukewarmness

• Thread starter Thread starter flick427
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

flick427

I know that to be lukewarm means to not be hot, or not be cold, but to be in the middle. I am trying to find out more what it means by examples and what is said of it by Jesus, and the Church. I want to make sure I’m not getting it confused with being “spiritually dry”. What kind of person can be lukewarm? From what I read, it sounds serious, but I never find much specific information on it.

Hi Flick,

St. Josemaria Escriva writes on lukewarmness to great lengths, in the books The Way, Furrow and The Forge. I have these in a single volume, and lukewarmness is even in the index! Here is a quote from The Way, para 331:

“You are tepid if you carry out listlessly and reluctlantly those things that have to do with our Lord; if deliberately or “shrewdly” you look for some way of lessening your duties; if you think of yourself and of your comfort; if your conversation is idle and vain; if you don’t abhor venial sin; if you act from human motives”

I’m sure you can see this is very different from spiritual dryness, a time where perhaps one is discouraged and can’t comprehend the events (or lack thereof) in one’s spiritual life.

I really recommend the three books referenced, and hope you find this helpful, peace and blessings.

Two quotes that answer your question better than I ever could:

One is, I think, at least one source of the concept:
“I know your deeds; I know you are neither hot nor cold. How I wish you were one or the other–hot or cold! But because you are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold, I will spew you out of my mouth! You keep saying, “I am so rich and secure that I want for nothing.” Little do you realize how wretched you are, how pitiable and poor, how blind and naked!” Rev. 3:15-17

Then there is this more recent one, from a very well-known Trappist monk and convert to Catholicism:
“There is no neutrality between gratitude and ingratitude. Those who are not grateful soon begin to complain of everything. Those who do not love, hate. In the spiritual life, there is no such thing as an indifference to love or hate. That is why tepidity (which seems to be indifferent) is so detestable. It is hate disguised as love.”

Thomas Merton, from Chapter VII, Thoughts in Solitude
(my copy was published in 1968 with Nihil Obstat, Imprimi Potest, and Imprimatur… which is to say it has been declared free of doctrinal or moral error, not that everyone has to agree with it.)

Well thank you both!!!
I should read a little of the JoseMaria Escriva. The only writings of his that I have are in the Navarre Bibles I have.
Lukewarmness is something I always worry about for some reason.
The wiered thing about lukewarmness is that it sounds like someone can still loose heaven even though they are not in a state of mortal sin because they think they can do things on their own without God???
Hmmm…this is one of those things the church needs to talk about more just like starting to preach the existance of Hell again.

40.png
flick427:
Lukewarmness is something I always worry about for some reason.
Perhaps you are being called to become yet more fervent.
Blessings upon you! And fear not, but do follow.

Good posts above. 👍

Just one additional comment:

Never be content where you are in your spiritual journey, always strive to be closer to God and love Him more.
🙂

Here’s a very good book on the subject of lukewarmness. It’s a good kick in the pants! I highly recommend it, as well as anything else on this site. You can get The Way, Furrow, and The Forge there also.

Betsy

According to St. Faustina, Jesus said that on the 9th day of the Novena to the Divine Mercy to “bring to Me souls who have become lukewarm, and immerse them in the abyss of My mercy. These souls wound My Heart most painfully. My soul suffered the most dreadful loathing in the Garden of Olives because of lukewarm souls. They were the reason I cried out: ‘Father, take this cup away from Me, if it be Your will.’ For them, the last hope of salvation is to flee to My mercy.”

Jesus said that he wanted you to be on fire or to be cold. To be on fire is to be true to what you do, not just go through the motions. To be cold is to reject him. Hey, at least he knows through your actions that you don’t like him. To be lukewarm is to be a good Catholic on the outside, but to not really hold to it in your beliefs on the inside. It’s like going through the motions so you’ll the get compliments of “oh, look at how righteous he/she is, I want to be just like him/her.” The only person you should be trying to please with your life is Jesus Christ. That’s the person that’s going to judge what you did in your life at your personal judgement at the end of your life, and who will judge you and confirm your personal judgement at the end of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back