Lustful thoughts reading the bible

• Thread starter Thread starter akathlic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

akathlic

Lately, I’ve been reading the book of Genesis and intend on trying to read the entire bible.

However, I often find myself having lustful thoughts when I read certain stories within the bible.

I don’t try to entertain them and I try my best to push them away, but they keep entering into my mind. I don’t want to put myself into temptation— but that would mean not reading God’s word.

Advice on what I can do about this?

Lately, I’ve been reading the book of Genesis and intend on trying to read the entire bible.

However, I often find myself having lustful thoughts when I read certain stories within the bible.

I don’t try to entertain them and I try my best to push them away, but they keep entering into my mind. I don’t want to put myself into temptation— but that would mean not reading God’s word.

Advice on what I can do about this?
There are merely temptations. You are not obliged to avoid temptations, but the voluntary and near occassion of (mortal) sin.

Stand up and walk around while you read. Chant the verses. Read in a church. Bite your tongue and hold your breath. Anything to shake your mind out of that place. The more you need to avoid the temptation, the more you should do that - but only in proportion with your actual need to read Scripture.

Take a cold shower after reading as well. Possibly reading it in public might help too.

I got shocked too when I read this for the first time, but I belive many atheist hate Bibles and claim who God is bad because is said “The Bible is God’s word only” they may belive those acts are “God’s will too”.

I don’t know where I stop and I don’t have reason to come back read the Bible all over again, I just look for what the Church teachs to understood. U should read although the tradition way and inside of the Church context.

I think it is concerning. You are reading the Word of God and you are having lustful thoughts? I wonder if you said murderous thoughts if people would be so cavalier. As for what to do about them, I’d pray the second it starts to happen and then I would find a guided and theologically correct Bible study to guide you through it. Perhaps reading it in public might help.

When you start a session of reading the Bible, ask the Lord to protect you while you are reading. It works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back