Lying for my boss - is it a sin?

• Thread starter Thread starter NewChristian27
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NewChristian27

I have a dilemma that I face almost daily. My boss asks me to lie to callers and tell them he is not in, is at a meeting, etc. I don’t like doing this and wonder if it is a sin? I think it is but don’t know how I can avoid it. Other than that, I like my job and don’t want to quit.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Ah, the “ethics” of work, bosses and subordinates. . .

What about this option–saying that your boss is “not available?” It certainly isn’t a lie, is it?

It’s a little stickier if he (the boss) wants to give an impression that he is doing something else (i.e., meeting) that would impact HIS job. Then you might be in trouble for condoning his behavior.

But it seems that it’s basically him wanting you to be “nanny” and keep the “undesirables” away.

I have found that “not available now, might I take a message?” and then giving the message to my boss, works best. It puts the ball right back in HIS court, by making sure that anyone who tries to contact him is at least acknowledged by my taking a message, and it makes HIM responsible for either returning the call or not.

The best rationalization I’ve ever heard is “He’s stepped out; can I take a message?” Given that the boss has almost certainly stepped out of something during the day (his office, his car, etc.), it’s always true, right? 😃

Personally, I think the best solution is “He’s unavailable,” but some bosses think that gives the wrong impression. Unfortunately, I don’t know enough moral theology to say if the first alternative would work. I think that Newman said that allowing someone to believe their own self-created misunderstanding was not a lie if done for proportionate reasons. I want to say that it was in the speech that inspired Kingsley to accuse Newman of dishonesty. But don’t take my word for it until I can dig up my copy of Apologia pro Vita Sua to be certain (or some other kind soul can confirm it for me).

When I used to work for one of the busiest people on earth, the staff used to HAVE to screen all calls or he would never have got anything done. They used to say they would go straight to heaven when they died for all the lies they told to people on the phone . . .

Yes, “not available” seems to be the most honest answer, but sometimes it’s not enough for persistant callers (my boss is an attorney, which may explain their persistance.)

Do you think it would be dangerous to confront my boss about it? On a positive note, he is a Catholic, so I would hope he’d understand why I don’t want to lie for him.

40.png
NewChristian27:
Yes, “not available” seems to be the most honest answer, but sometimes it’s not enough for persistant callers (my boss is an attorney, which may explain their persistance.)

Do you think it would be dangerous to confront my boss about it? On a positive note, he is a Catholic, so I would hope he’d understand why I don’t want to lie for him.
If “not available” doesn’t take care of them, I’d say, “please hold and I’ll make sure,” put them on hold for a couple minutes then pick up and say, “I’m sorry he still isn’t available, may I take a message?”

To the question, is it a sin, I vote for “no.” You are following orders and not hurting anyone or misleading them in any material way.

There certainly isn’t anything wrong with your talking to your boss about it, but I don’t think there is anything intrinsically evil or sinful about obeying your boss’s wishes. I used to get all hung up ( :rolleyes: ) about things like that, but not so much anymore. If the boss does not wish to be disturbed, it is your job to protect him; a typical persistent caller who thinks he’s really in may even feel inclined to come to the office to confront him in person. If a caller is not going to be put through, then what material difference does it make whether they think he is there screening calls or just gone? It is not your job to do full disclosure or you even have to report when he was in the bathroom. Just think; if he had an automated attendant, it would automatically say “he is not in” if he doesn’t answer – end of story.

Alan

There are ways of being disingenuous that are preferable to lying.

Thus, “not available” is ethical. You are hired to serve the company. If his time is that valuable, then the greater good must be served by not always being forthcoming.

It is minor, I would not dwell on it for a second. He is not asking you to lie on his tax forms or help him cheat on his wife.

Saying he is unavailable or unable to take your call right now is not lying. He isn’t available and he wishes/cannot take the call.

Pretend you are an answering machine and say, “I’m sorry, Mr ??
can’t come to the phone right now, at the sound of the beep, please leave your message.” 😃

Annie

40.png
NewChristian27:
I have a dilemma that I face almost daily. My boss asks me to lie to callers and tell them he is not in, is at a meeting, etc. I don’t like doing this and wonder if it is a sin? I think it is but don’t know how I can avoid it. Other than that, I like my job and don’t want to quit.

Hi NewChristian,
Only you know.If your conscience convicts you, you are, so you need to find the answer where your conscience doesn’t convict you or change your position at the company.Maybe your boss appreciates really honest people. If you leave Christ will find you a better work place. Maybe He already has a better one lined up for you and He is saying Go.
Try, “my boss is talking with someone and he honours their time by not allowing interruptions. When you are talking to him, he will honor your time as well.”
Please dont harden your conscience.
Christ be with youhttp://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon7.gif
walk in love
edwinG

Say, “He isn’t taking calls right now. May I take a message?”

– Mark L. Chance.

40.png
NewChristian27:

Just say he is unavailablt to take your call at present. You may equivocate on these matters. He is in a meeting…erm…with the screen:D

40.png
edwinG:
Hi NewChristian,
Only you know.If your conscience convicts you, you are, so you need to find the answer where your conscience doesn’t convict you or change your position at the company.Maybe your boss appreciates really honest people. If you leave Christ will find you a better work place. Maybe He already has a better one lined up for you and He is saying Go.
Try, “my boss is talking with someone and he honours their time by not allowing interruptions. When you are talking to him, he will honor your time as well.”
Please dont harden your conscience.
Christ be with youhttp://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon7.gif
walk in love
edwinG
His conscience must be in conformity with the truth. He may have an erroneous conscience. That said I think " not available to talk" is a true statement which would not harden his conscience.

40.png
NewChristian27:

Boy, I have sure faced this many times! I really try to be as honest as possible and I resist other people trying to get me to lie for them. For me, to tell a caller that my boss is in a meeting or out of the office when in reality he’s doing whatever work in his office feels like lying, so, like everyone else has said, I say that he’s unavailable.

I’ve never had any problems this way, but if your boss objects to you saying that he’s unavailable rather than in a conference or whatever, maybe you could tell your boss that it makes you uncomfortable and you feel like you’re being dishonest.

I still say, what’s the big deal?

I used to get all freaked out when a person in my house said “I’m not here” when I was about to answer the phone. Then I realized it was a silly phobia and grew out of it. Now I’ll answer the phone and if it’s obviously a solicitation and they ask for me (mispronouncing my name of course) I’ll often say, “I’m sorry he isn’t here right now (or isn’t available), may I take a message?” Nine times out of ten they won’t; the other day somebody did tell me who it was and I thought it was legitimate so I said, “actually I’m Alan but I was screening my calls.” They felt privileged they had been screened and made it through successfully!

A person answering the phone is under no moral obligation to disclose specific details of who is in the building at any given time to any caller. My kids are forbidden to disclose whether their parents are home, for example, when we are away.

Maybe your boss thinks it’s more polite to say he “isn’t in the office” rather than “he’s here but doesn’t have time to talk to you right now.” Who really cares? If it’s an emergency or someone he really needs to talk to, he can call back right away.

If you want to be overly scrupulous about whether you are being honest, think of it this way: he’s not “in” for the purposes of taking calls.

Again, I vote no sin.

Disclaimer: of course there may be exceptions, such as if your boss is locked in his office cheating with his secretary and his wife calls and says, “are you SURE he isn’t there? He just called me five minutes ago and I just drove by and saw his care there,” now you do have a moral predicament.

Alan

40.png
AlanFromWichita:
I still say, what’s the big deal?

I used to get all freaked out when a person in my house said “I’m not here” when I was about to answer the phone. Then I realized it was a silly phobia and grew out of it.

Alan
What is a silly phobia for you is a personal principle for me.

In my thinking, if there are times when I am going to “white lie” or be misleading in my speech, it will be when I chose to do so, not when someone, like my boss, chooses for me to do. If I want to lie about something, I want it to be at my own initiation and not to feel forced into doing it.

I don’t mean that my way is the “right” way for everyone to feel about this, but it’s how I feel called to live as honestly as possible.

Oh, and Alan, I completely agree that callees are not obligated to reveal information to a caller. Sounds like you are teaching your kids the wise thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back