M.O.M.S. Ministry?

• Thread starter Thread starter Elzee
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Elzee

Does anyone here know anything about M.O.M.S. (Ministry of Moms Sharing (or maybe it’s ‘Mothers Sharing’ - I can’t remember now). It is becoming very popular in our parish; however, the workbook that goes along with the program has, as suggested reading material for single moms a book titled ‘How to find Mr. or Ms. Right’. This ministry is supported by our diocese but the title of this suggested book has me wondering how ‘Catholic’ the ministry really is. I haven’t been able to find their website to research it more. Does anyone have any insight into this ministry?

We had this group in our parish at one time and we had a bad experience. First of all the book is horrible; it has a New Age -feminist touchy-feely type of approach that only a middle-aged ex-nun would find spiritually uplifting (in fact, one of the co-authors was just that). A large number of groups were established, so much so that there was no real oversight. Some of the groups were apparently managing to stay orthodox and focused, but many more of them (some of them run by non-Catholics) lost their Catholic character or became little more than coffee clatches, Catholic in name only.

After many, many complaints by a number of people, the parish decided to discontinue the sponsorship of these groups (many groups stayed together, but were not allowed to identify themselves as a ministry of our parish). There was a lot of hard feelings all around, but in the final analysis, it was a situation that had to be addressed.

I’m not saying all MOM’s groups everywhere are like this, but am only relating one parish’s experience.

Thank you for your comments and for the google! It made me feel better to realize my gut feeling is shared by others. I’m not quite sure yet how or if to approach my priest about my concerns - but this doesn’t seem like a women’s ministry that is true to the Church and I have concerns about it continuing to grow in our parish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back