T
TOmNossor
Guest
Magisterium - Infallibility - ???
I am sure I do not know perfectly the terms associated with Catholic teaching authority.
I once was way off (thinking the imprimatur of a single bishop was infallible), but I am still sure I do not understand perfectly.
I know that there are 21 Ecumenical Councils, and these meetings of worldwide Bishops (Cardinals) produce infallible teachings.
I know the Pope as documented at Vatican I can speak infallibly. I am a minimalist here in that I would say only 2 Papal decrees are agreed upon by all Catholics as being exercises of the Pope’s infallibility.
I get confused with terms like:
Which term applies to infallible/irreformable conciliar definitions from the 21 ECs?
Which term applies to conciliar definition from local councils that were never declared ECs?
Which term applies to Papal statements that are sealed by Papal Infallibility?
Which term applies to Papal statements that are not sealed by Papal Infallibility?
Should the term “Magisterium” unmodified by assumed to be one of the first 3, or is it about context to determine how the unmodified term is used?
I would be happy to read a link. I would hope not to have to read a book so that I might know this, but if that is the only way I would be willing to put that on my LIST.
Thanks for any help.
Charity, TOm
I am sure I do not know perfectly the terms associated with Catholic teaching authority.
I once was way off (thinking the imprimatur of a single bishop was infallible), but I am still sure I do not understand perfectly.
I know that there are 21 Ecumenical Councils, and these meetings of worldwide Bishops (Cardinals) produce infallible teachings.
I know the Pope as documented at Vatican I can speak infallibly. I am a minimalist here in that I would say only 2 Papal decrees are agreed upon by all Catholics as being exercises of the Pope’s infallibility.
I get confused with terms like:
- Ordinary/Extraordinary Magisterium.
- Ordinary/Extraordinary Universal Magisterium.
- Ecclesiastical Magisterium.
- Magisterium
Which term applies to infallible/irreformable conciliar definitions from the 21 ECs?
Which term applies to conciliar definition from local councils that were never declared ECs?
Which term applies to Papal statements that are sealed by Papal Infallibility?
Which term applies to Papal statements that are not sealed by Papal Infallibility?
Should the term “Magisterium” unmodified by assumed to be one of the first 3, or is it about context to determine how the unmodified term is used?
I would be happy to read a link. I would hope not to have to read a book so that I might know this, but if that is the only way I would be willing to put that on my LIST.
Thanks for any help.
Charity, TOm