Making restitution for stolen (older) video games

  • Thread starter Thread starter seeker0987
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

seeker0987

Guest
I’ll try to keep it to the point on details. I had downloaded and illegally obtained several games for older video game systems (e.g. Nintendo) and played them using an emulator. I have deleted them, will not download more, and will go to Confession for this, but how will I make restitution for those games, that is, to those developers/publishers who are out of business and whose assets are held by an unknown entity, if applicable?
*

Any suggestions?*
 
Discuss the matter with the Priest in confession. It is as I recall possible to make restitution via giving to charity etc such as when unable to make restitution directly.
 
Is it a sin to download games that are longer in circulation? Such as ones that are not being made or sold any longer, where even buying a copy would end in no money being put into the original seller’s hands. I won’t download things like Majora’s Mask, because it’s being sold by Nintendo via Wii shop, but what about games like Earthbound, which are not likely to ever be sold again?
 
Is it a sin to download games that are longer in circulation? Such as ones that are not being made or sold any longer, where even buying a copy would end in no money being put into the original seller’s hands. I won’t download things like Majora’s Mask, because it’s being sold by Nintendo via Wii shop, but what about games like Earthbound, which are not likely to ever be sold again?
Same said for old albums that aren’t on CD or iTunes. Movies too.
 
I’ll try to keep it to the point on details. I had downloaded and illegally obtained several games for older video game systems (e.g. Nintendo) and played them using an emulator. I have deleted them, will not download more, and will go to Confession for this, but how will I make restitution for those games, that is, to those developers/publishers who are out of business and whose assets are held by an unknown entity, if applicable?
*

Any suggestions?*

Weclome to CAF! 👋

I agree with Bookcat. This sounds like a good question to ask your priest when you go to Confession.
 
Your penance that the priest gives is all that is required. If you are moved to donate to the church or charity that is up to you 🙂 Christmas is coming up, you could give to toys for tots or something like that
 
On a technical note, you may not have done anything wrong. Many deveolpers / publishers of games for obsolete platforms released their work to the public domain so that thier games would “live on”. I personally know several devs that worked on the emulator versions so that people could continue to enjoy them.

Some of what you downloaded could well have not have been released and it’s is commendable to make honest restitution. I agree that charity would likely be the best way.

God bless
 
Catechism:

2412 In virtue of commutative justice, reparation for injustice committed requires the restitution of stolen goods to their owner:

Jesus blesses Zacchaeus for his pledge: “If I have defrauded anyone of anything, I restore it fourfold.” Those who, directly or indirectly, have taken possession of the goods of another, are obliged to make restitution of them, or to return the equivalent in kind or in money, if the goods have disappeared, as well as the profit or advantages their owner would have legitimately obtained from them. Likewise, all who in some manner have taken part in a theft or who have knowingly benefited from it - for example, those who ordered it, assisted in it, or received the stolen goods - are obliged to make restitution in proportion to their responsibility and to their share of what was stolen.

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a7.htm#2412
 
Catechism of the Catholic Church:

2412 In virtue of commutative justice, reparation for injustice committed requires the restitution of stolen goods to their owner…

The Confessor be a source of guidance here.
 
I’ll try to keep it to the point on details. I had downloaded and illegally obtained several games for older video game systems (e.g. Nintendo) and played them using an emulator. I have deleted them, will not download more, and will go to Confession for this, but how will I make restitution for those games, that is, to those developers/publishers who are out of business and whose assets are held by an unknown entity, if applicable?
*

Any suggestions?*

Have you confessed this? If it’s impractical to make restitution directly, make contributions through the Church to worthy charities.
 
I personally think it should be okay as long as the game is out of print and the developers aren’t making their money off of it anymore.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top