Mark 1:2

  • Thread starter Thread starter ThomasDoubter
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

ThomasDoubter

Guest
This is not a question suggesting any theological angst on my part - more a matter of interest!

Mark 1:2

*It is written in the prophet Isaiah:

Look, I am going to send a messenger in front of you
to prepare the way before you…*

(New Jerusalem Bible)

The verse is referring to John the Baptist, preparing the way for our Lord.

Was Mark written originally in Ancient Greek? Or Hebrew? I would be interested to hear the opinions of anyone who knows either of these languages on this query - what word was used for ‘messenger’?

My understanding is that two words were used for ‘messenger’, denoting either an earthly or heavenly being. If it was ‘aggelos’ (in the Greek), wouldn’t this point to the messenger being an angel? Would this make John the Baptist an angel?

I suppose in one respect, he is still a ‘heavenly messenger’, regardless of the ‘angel’ tag. Like I said, it’s not a crushingly important issue… 🙂
 
Mark was written in Koine Greek.

I managed to download a copy of Mark in Greek and the word that translates as messenger is ἄγγελόν (ángelón, according to Google Translate). But on its own it still seems to translate at both messenger and angel.
 
At present it is unknown if Mark was written originally in Greek or Hebrew. The oldest Copies are in Greek.

THIS LINK might help you some. It is the text in both english and Greek. Click on any of the underlined english words and the Greek along with meaning will pop up in a new window.
I have found this website to be quite useful for doing such comparisons.

Peace
James
 
Great information…thanks to both of you! The link is great.

Coming back to the Faith after so many years in the wilderness (no St. John the Baptist pun intended!), I’m enjoying the huge amount of learning I am experiencing.

God knows all of our futures, and so in that way we all are pre-destined for certain events. However, unlike John, we do not know our fates. John knew he had a divine purpose. Does that mean that he was born without the freewill that God gives to us all?

John was placed on earth to communicate with people according to the will of the Father. Is this not an angelic definition?
 
John was placed on earth to communicate with people according to the will of the Father. Is this not an angelic definition?
I would say that’s the definition of a prophet, which of couse John the Baptist was. Angels are heavenly beings rather than earthly ones, though God does use them to communicate things to us on earth e.g. the angel appearing to Mary and to Joseph and later to the shepherds.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top