J
Joan1969
Guest
Hi to everyone,
I am having some major problems in my marriage, and I was wondering what different takes people had on the situation.
My husband has given me practically no companionship or conversation for several days now, and has also been avoiding our four kids. Almost all his time is spent working, or in a downstairs office. The situation was precipitated by an argument over discipline; I felt he was being extremely overbearing and unfair with our 8-year old son (who suffers from autism), so I intervened on behalf of the boy. We got into an argument. I later let him know that we had to work out a plan for discipline that was mutually agreeable, but he reacted badly to this so we got into another fight. He is withdrawing massively from the whole situation, and I can’t get a straight answer regarding how long he will keep it up, or what’s on his mind. I can say he is offended by the fact that I interevened with his discipline, but the problem is that he won’t respect my limits and beliefs with this issue. He wants me to sit back and let him do as he wants, and I think his habits are bad for the kids, not to mention that being passive would be degrading to me.
My husband is actually a very active Catholic in the religious sense and has a regular confessor. So I have at least that hope, that I can contact his confessor or some other individual he respects, and see if that third pary will make a difference. I tried counseling, but he would not go and I believe I am already trying to apply in this situation the best advice I could get from the counselor. But how much longer should I give him? This would be a serious move, and I would rather not jump the gun and maybe embarrass him without need. Still, stonewalling, neglect of family and bad temper has been a problem for years.
I would also appreciate prayers.
I am having some major problems in my marriage, and I was wondering what different takes people had on the situation.
My husband has given me practically no companionship or conversation for several days now, and has also been avoiding our four kids. Almost all his time is spent working, or in a downstairs office. The situation was precipitated by an argument over discipline; I felt he was being extremely overbearing and unfair with our 8-year old son (who suffers from autism), so I intervened on behalf of the boy. We got into an argument. I later let him know that we had to work out a plan for discipline that was mutually agreeable, but he reacted badly to this so we got into another fight. He is withdrawing massively from the whole situation, and I can’t get a straight answer regarding how long he will keep it up, or what’s on his mind. I can say he is offended by the fact that I interevened with his discipline, but the problem is that he won’t respect my limits and beliefs with this issue. He wants me to sit back and let him do as he wants, and I think his habits are bad for the kids, not to mention that being passive would be degrading to me.
My husband is actually a very active Catholic in the religious sense and has a regular confessor. So I have at least that hope, that I can contact his confessor or some other individual he respects, and see if that third pary will make a difference. I tried counseling, but he would not go and I believe I am already trying to apply in this situation the best advice I could get from the counselor. But how much longer should I give him? This would be a serious move, and I would rather not jump the gun and maybe embarrass him without need. Still, stonewalling, neglect of family and bad temper has been a problem for years.
I would also appreciate prayers.