Marriage discernment.

• Thread starter Thread starter montanaman
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

montanaman

This thread comes from my all-consuming thinking on the subject right now. I’m 99% sure of a certain course of action, but there’s always that nagging doubt. That got me to thinking about “knowing.”

First things first: I am not a subjectivist, relativist or any other truth-negotiating kind of person. I’m an orthodox Roman Catholic whose faith grows a little bit every day (and occasionally slips backward just a bit).

Maybe this thread goes somewhere else, but I want to know what we mean by “knowing,” particularly in relation to marriage–or the priesthood. Many people here just “knew” within weeks or months of when they met their future spouse. (This is my mom’s line, too). This knowledge seems to rest completely on the heart, on emotions, in other words. Perhaps their hearts are more virtuous than most, or perhaps God choses to reveal more of his Plan to these people. I don’t know. But it seems to me that resting such an important decision on something as shifty as emotion is, well, shifty.

I’m NOT implying dishonesty.

I think that our squishy, touchy-feely culture is drunk on its luxury to be able to consider such things as romantic love in the degree it does. In the past, (and I’m obviously only speculating here) it seems as though a whole bunch of other, more pragmatic concerns were involved. Sometimes it was arranged marriage. Before the population exploded around the time of the Industrial Revolution, there might have been very few people to choose from in a town or village. Marriages were more often whole-family affairs, where more “profitable” matches were arranged. Maybe this was more of an upper class phenomenon, but that’s just my impression of the past.

So, if I’m not being too obtuse about this, let me know your thoughts. Simply put, I’m asking people to consider that the “I just know” philosophy is relatively new, and what are your thoughts about it?

Having been almost engaged before, and now engaged to someone else, I am a firm believer in this “you just know” business. I didn’t get it with the first guy. I thought I knew, but was unsure… eventually broke it off (I knew he had a ring but hadn’t yet proposed), and couldn’t be better off for it.

Sure, there are days when I get so frustrated and caught up in things I start to worry, “How is this ever going to work??” but I look back on all the ways we’re perfect for eachother, and feel certain that our vocation is to marriage with eachother.

Did you read that article posted in this forum last week I think? There were two, actually, one about God “sending” a spouse and another about communication. I thought both were great, especially for those who are still discerning (which includes me, since it ain’t over 'til the fat lady sings). Give them a read.

Don’t propose unless you’re certain. It would be much worse to have to call off an engagement. That being said, I think I could have “made it” with the first guy if I hadn’t had the guts to dump him finally. It just would have been monstrously harder, and he would have been much happier than me, I think.

Ask yourself, “Does she bend over backwards to make me happy? Do I let her? Do I do the same thing for her? Does she let me?” If the answer to all 4 is yes, you’re probably doing pretty well. A gross oversimplification, but that’s the kind of attitude it takes to “make it.”

Not to get off topic already, (well, yes, to do exactly that), can you remember the name of that thread with the articles?

Thanks,
MM

Well I tend not to agree with the reasoning that “just knowing” is based purely on emotions. That was not my experience at all. “I just knew” BECAUSE so many signs were given to me outwardly–not just the peace and knowledge that I was also granted interiorly. So yes, emotions were involved but not singularly. I didn’t have doubts when I got engaged, nor when I was married. I felt very confident about the life together that we were embarking upon, and haven’t looked back. I knew that struggles lay ahead (they always do) but I was convinced that my vocation and path to sanctification lay in sharing my life with my now husband.

That said, clearly we all have different experiences and just because I didn’t have a doubt doesn’t mean you’re wrong to keep acknowledging this one percent of you that isn’t fully sure. However, had my husband had that one percent of doubt, it would have given me pause. For whatever reason, my experience and my husband’s experience was a very calm, peaceful confidence that we were fufilling God’s will for our lives. We both had feelings for each other that developed quickly into a strong friendship ignited by love and desire for one another, a life together, eternity shared. We both, however, also looked at all the circumstances that led the two of us together and the powerful interplay of dynamics which compelled us to one another. All that we had in common, from normal interests to intense passions and sharing our faith was also important–along with the small mix of differences that make life interesting. So…we just knew. That’s the only way to describe it. But we KNEW because it made sense, almost as if all the unfit pieces in the puzzle of our life came together once we met each other and fell in love.

The best (or quickest) responce I have is that I (we) knew. Our relationship bloomed quickly. We talked about everything. The good, the bad, the mistakes, plans and dreams. Pray, test, then pray and test some more. Our marrage seemed right twenty two years ago, and is right today. Love is a decision & feelings can mislead you, but, “You will know when you know that you know”.

Thanks, Abby.

The more I think about this, the deeper the rabbit hole get. I didn’t phrase my question very well and now that I’ve thought about it for a little while, I realize I don’t even know how to phrase the question.

But once again, because of how much depends on intangibles and abstraction, I’m convinced that doing God’s will is whatever you do while doing it with humility, in his grace. At least for me it is. I’m not one of the chosen with a pocket-sized outline of The Plan. And that goes across all aspects of my life, not just this.

I hope we can all just let this thread die.
Thank you,
MM

40.png
montanaman:
Thanks, Abby.

The more I think about this, the deeper the rabbit hole get. I didn’t phrase my question very well and now that I’ve thought about it for a little while, I realize I don’t even know how to phrase the question.

But once again, because of how much depends on intangibles and abstraction, I’m convinced that doing God’s will is whatever you do while doing it with humility, in his grace. At least for me it is. I’m not one of the chosen with a pocket-sized outline of The Plan. And that goes across all aspects of my life, not just this.

I hope we can all just let this thread die.
Thank you,
MM
It’s funny you say that, about the “Plan”…neither my husband nor I were “planning” for each other…in fact, we were both busily planning other aspects of our lives when we happened upon each other…it’s funny how God slaps us upside the head sometimes when we least expect it!

Furthermore, can I just guess that as a writer, you have a very analytical mind and perhaps get caught up in “thinking” things half to death. Sometimes we just have to accept that there are no absolutes, guarantees or done deals in life. We pray, we discern, we take risks, but most of all we hope in the Lord and realize that our Heavenly Father is not going to abandon any of His kids. I think it’s Rom 8:28 that says “We know that all things work for good, for those who love God and live according to His purpose.” Well, you love God, you’re living according to His purpose…so there’s not much to worry about! 😉

I think in five years, when you’re happily married to Grace with a baby or two, you’re going to look back at this time and just laugh at the “one percent” which got so much more focus then the “ninety-nine percent.” 🙂

40.png
Princess_Abby:
It’s funny you say that, about the “Plan”…neither my husband nor I were “planning” for each other…in fact, we were both busily planning other aspects of our lives when we happened upon each other…it’s funny how God slaps us upside the head sometimes when we least expect it!

Furthermore, can I just guess that as a writer, you have a very analytical mind and perhaps get caught up in “thinking” things half to death. Sometimes we just have to accept that there are no absolutes, guarantees or done deals in life. We pray, we discern, we take risks, but most of all we hope in the Lord and realize that our Heavenly Father is not going to abandon any of His kids. I think it’s Rom 8:28 that says “We know that all things work for good, for those who love God and live according to His purpose.” Well, you love God, you’re living according to His purpose…so there’s not much to worry about! 😉

I think in five years, when you’re happily married to Grace with a baby or two, you’re going to look back at this time and just laugh at the “one percent” which got so much more focus then the “ninety-nine percent.” 🙂
Thanks for those words of peace, Abby.

And yes, I do have an analytical writer’s mind, but it’s an early model, wholly incompatible with the modern world, in need of repair, and I don’t know where to get the spare parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back