Martin Luther Book

  • Thread starter Thread starter hinhey
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hinhey

Guest
Does anyone know of any good scholarly books with an account of th e protestant reformation? I’m mainly focusing on Luther and his 95 theses, and am looking for something from a Catholic viewpoint. Not an apologetic book, but a historical one

Thanks
 
Does anyone know of any good scholarly books with an account of th e protestant reformation? I’m mainly focusing on Luther and his 95 theses, and am looking for something from a Catholic viewpoint. Not an apologetic book, but a historical one

Thanks
“The Facts About Luther” by Msgr. Patrick F. O’Hare, LL.D.
 
Does anyone know of any good scholarly books with an account of th e protestant reformation? I’m mainly focusing on Luther and his 95 theses, and am looking for something from a Catholic viewpoint. Not an apologetic book, but a historical one

Thanks
A good one would be Dr. Warren H. Carroll’s The Cleaving of Christendom, vol. 4 of his series on the History of Christendom.
 
Does anyone know of any good scholarly books with an account of th e protestant reformation? I’m mainly focusing on Luther and his 95 theses, and am looking for something from a Catholic viewpoint. Not an apologetic book, but a historical one

Thanks
www.pcpbooks.com
 
Does anyone know of any good scholarly books with an account of th e protestant reformation? I’m mainly focusing on Luther and his 95 theses, and am looking for something from a Catholic viewpoint. Not an apologetic book, but a historical one

Thanks
The O’Hare book has no scholarly credentials as far as I know, and Carroll is only spoken of among certain conservative Catholics (i.e., his work is not known or recognized in the wider scholarly world). Daniel-Rops wrote on the Reformation, though it wasn’t his main area of expertise. Louis Bouyer’s *The Spirit and Forms of Protestantism *has a good analysis. Jared Wicks has written specifically about Luther in recent years, and among older writers Grisar (very hostile) and Lortz (much more sympathetic) are notable. Otto Hermann Pesch has done some of the most respected and detailed work on Luther (particularly comparing his theology to that of Aquinas), and some of it is available in English.

Edwin
 
Contarini

Have you ever read Alister McGrath’s Reformation Thought?

If you have tell me what you thought of it.

Thanks
 
Contarini

Have you ever read Alister McGrath’s Reformation Thought?

If you have tell me what you thought of it.

Thanks
No I haven’t. I need to read more McGrath. At the risk of sounding snooty, most of his work is based on other people’s research, so he tends to be read by non-specialists more than by specialists. But of course we need people like that–indeed I’m more interested in writing for a broad audience than in writing detailed monographs (witness my participation on this forum).

Edwin
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top