Mary Mediatrix, Grace and Holy Spirit

• Thread starter Thread starter Neithan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Neithan

I know this is a tired line of questioning for all you “cradle Catholics” but I’m *still *confused about it (i’m still undergoing the process of becoming Catholic, though I already consider myself one), despite all the reading and questioning I’ve done.

If Mary is the Mediatrix of all Grace, and no Grace comes to us except through Her, do we pray to Mary for Grace or the Holy Spirit? Should we pray to the Holy Spirit at all if Mary is our Mediatrix? If yes, when and how do we distinguish the roles between Mary Mediatrix and the Holy Spirit in prayer?

Does Mary only intercede for our Grace (and the Holy Spirit gives it to us), or does she herself actually bestow it upon us? Does Mary send us the Holy Spirit (from Jesus through her) or does Jesus (directly to us)?

Why is it simply Mediatrix and not Co-Mediatrix? Isn’t she a secondary partner with the Holy Spirit on this task (of distributing Grace)?

Finally: why is there so much popular devotion to Mary (Rosary) and so little to the Holy Spirit?

Lots of questions, I kindly appreciate any answers!

40.png
Neithan:
I know this is a tired line of questioning for all you “cradle Catholics” but I’m *still *confused about it (i’m still undergoing the process of becoming Catholic, though I already consider myself one), despite all the reading and questioning I’ve done.
I’ve observed that converts oftentimes know about the Faith more than cradle Catholics. Whereas we tend to take the Faith for granted, converts have to sift it, sometimes thoroughly.

But in both cases, learning about the Faith is a life-long adventure.
40.png
Neithan:
If Mary is the Mediatrix of all Grace, and no Grace comes to us except through Her, do we pray to Mary for Grace or the Holy Spirit? Should we pray to the Holy Spirit at all if Mary is our Mediatrix? If yes, when and how do we distinguish the roles between Mary Mediatrix and the Holy Spirit in prayer?
As mediatress, it’s not up to her to deny God’s Grace if He so decides, so we pray to God. But still as mediatress, we also pray to her to pray for us to God.

In the end, there’s only God’s Grace. The simplest explanation I heard what His Grace is was given by my pastor: “Grace is God’s Love.” It’s He Who loves, albeit his caresseses only get to us because of Mary’s intercession, His mother given to us by Himself from up the cross.
40.png
Neithan:
Does Mary only intercede for our Grace (and the Holy Spirit gives it to us), or does she herself actually bestow it upon us? Does Mary send us the Holy Spirit (from Jesus through her) or does Jesus (directly to us)?
Think of her mediating role after the dictionary meaning of the word. She mediates us and her Son. We ask that she intercedes in our favor, but she does God’s Will, now as 2000 years ago, until the end of times.

She loves us too, but only God’s love is Grace. He knows each one of us by name, ever since He created us at conception. His love for us is very personal and although Mary loves us as our mother it’s not as great as God’s love.
40.png
Neithan:
Why is it simply Mediatrix and not Co-Mediatrix? Isn’t she a secondary partner with the Holy Spirit on this task (of distributing Grace)?
Were she co-mediatress, implying that the Holy Spirit is the other mediator, who would He mediate us with, Himself? It wouldn’t make sense.

Yes, Jesus is the only mediator between men and God, meaning that anything, to God or from God, is through Him. But Mary’s mediating role is moe as an intercessor.

The best way to understand the mediating role of Mary is to meditate on the wedding at Canaa: the people went to her and she turned to her Son, telling Him about their need and pleading for them, after which she told them to do as He said.
40.png
Neithan:
Finally: why is there so much popular devotion to Mary (Rosary) and so little to the Holy Spirit?
That’s true, but the Holy Spirit is one with the Son and the Father, and no devotion to the Triune God is greater than the sacrifice of Mass.

But I don’t pretend to know much about Mariology. I’m sure that others will have plenty to correct here. Yet, I hope that it answers part of your questions.

:blessyou:

In the end it doesn’t matter whether you pray to Jesus, the Father, Holy Spirit or Mary. It all has the same result. You will change as you go through life. The Holy Spirit will move you to pray to Mary for a while and then to Himself for a while etc. Just do what you like here.
Many people feel comfortable praying to Mary when they are just starting out. And later they pray to Jesus directly.
Other times you may pray a lot to your guardian Angel or some other Angel or Saint.
There are patron Saints for just about everything you can think of. You may develope a great affection for your guardian Angel or a particular Saint/s. Just go with what feels good at the time.
Mary was given to us to be our spiritual mother. She is the queen of Heaven and Earth. And we believe all Gods graces are dispensed by her. So I suggest at least some devotion to her. The Rosay is the best devotion here.
Try the link below for a marvelous book about the Rosary-
At the bottom you can download The secret of the Rosary by St Louis De Montfort. You’ll really love the stories he tells.
web.cheapnet.it/ivanao/secret.html

Augustine: Great post, very informative, thanks!

John Russell Jr.: I haven’t really incorporated the Rosary into a regular prayer practice yet, but I will soon.

I’ve recently been reading up on the Charismatic Renewal movement, and I think a large part of it has arisen to fill the void of popular devotion to the Holy Spirit (relative to Mary), which is interesting. Sometimes I think Mariology tends to obscure Him a little bit.
Pax

Augustine: Great post, very informative, thanks!

John Russell Jr.: I haven’t really incorporated the Rosary into a regular prayer practice yet, but I will soon.

I’ve recently been reading up on the Charismatic Renewal movement, and I think a large part of it has arisen to fill the void of popular devotion to the Holy Spirit (relative to Mary), which is interesting. Sometimes I think Mariology tends to obscure Him a little bit.
Pax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back