Mass and anxiety attacks

• Thread starter Thread starter Mom_of_one
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mom_of_one

I have a few questions about anxiety attacks and going to Mass. If someone has an anxiety attack before Mass(not on a regular basis, but every great once in a while), is is a mortal sin to miss Mass? What about if they take medication for that attack? Should they go to Mass if they are the driver and the medication has the potential to make them sleepy? What about going later if the attack has resolved and the medicine is no longer affecting them (i.e. making them sleepy)? Does that person have the obligation to go later when they missed earlier Mass for a legitimate reason?

Dear Mom of one,
Yes, I’m certain that an anxiety attack is a totally legitamate excuse for missing Mass. I have a 22 year old son who started having these last year occasionally. The last time one happened, he was at work and I had to come pick him up and we went to the ER.

Anxiety attacks are extremely debilitating at the time they are happening, and he says that he feels exhausted afterwards. Fortunately they are rare events, but he has had to leave work twice because of them. He is a cook at a barbeque place and also a college student.

A good thing to do when having one is to try and slow down your breathing, or put a bag over your head, so you don’t hyperventilate. They gave my son Ativan to take if he had one, but he’s only used it once. They offered to put him on Prozac as a preventative, but we thought that was an extreme move, esp since his are so seldom.

Dear friend

It is never a mortal sin to miss Mass for medical reasons that would prevent a person from doing so and panic attacks fall under that category. It would be dangerous for you to attempt to drive to Mass and after such an experience I would imagine it is important for a person to rest and be taken care of.

When this happens the person concerned might like to personally or have a family member call the Parish Priest and see if he or an extra-ordinary Eucharistic Minister can bring the Sacrament to the person affected as it is proper to bring the Eucharist to the sick and housebound.

If this person experiences anxiety at the thought of attending a Mass that is very busy on a Sunday they may like to speak to their priest and see if it is possible to attend a weekday mass and receive a dispensation from the Sunday Obligation replacing this with a weekday quieter Mass.

The person concerned should put any worry over this out of their minds and I wish this person and Spiritblows son the very best of health and the healing grace of Christ Jesus; I will be praying for that for both people.

The person concerned might like to remember to unite their sufferings to those of Christ Jesus suffering in the Garden of Gethsemane and on the Cross if they have not already done this and offer their sufferings to God the Father on the Altar at Holy Mass.

I will keep you all in my prayers and when you remember please say a prayer for me from time to time, thank you.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

what helps many people is going to a Mass that is the least crowded, like the early am Mass, or in a neighboring parish where they don’t know anyone. whatever helps is okay. an anxiety attack is a legitimate medical emergency, and the person should return to Mass only if and when it is safe to do so. He should seek medical treatment for the underlying problem, not use it as an excuse to miss Mass, work or any other obligation.

if you find it comforting, you might also watch a televised Mass later, at least to hear the readings and sermon, and just for the feeling of being part of it. Of course it does not meet your Sunday obligation and is not a substitute for Mass attendance, but can help you in dealing with the underlying situation that causes anxiety.

An anxiety attack isn’t really a ‘medical emergency’ actually. It is debilitating at the time, and definately you don’t want to be driving, but the attack is not physically harmful. The main danger is that they can interfere with one’s daily activities of living, such as going to work, participating in other activities, such as going to church.

Apparently, the serotonin uptake inhibitors have been successful in preventing them. Prozac falls into that catagory. Ativan is a benzodiazipine, which treats anxiety. Usually the panic attack will subside by itself before the Ativan will have time to take effect, but for my son it’s sort of a security blanket, so he won’t feel helpless if he has one.

They are not sure what causes them, but obviously some chemical in the brain, plus external triggers. My son has trouble with insomnia and says that he has gotten them when he’s sleep deprived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back