Mass, Eternity and God's People?

• Thread starter Thread starter springbreeze
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

springbreeze

Dear friends

There is something that has been on my mind for a few days and I just wanted to ask each of you what your thoughts are on this.

At Mass we enter into the one and salvific event of the Crucifixion. If time and all eternity is entered into at this moment when we are at Mass and we are present with our Blessed Mother Virgin Mary and the Lord at His Crucifixion, do you think Jesus saw all of His people there gathered at every Mass ever said in all time and eternity before Him as He died upon the Cross?

This thought came to me at Mass the other day and hasn’t left me, it has seemed a moment of pure clarity for me.

Thank you in advance for any of your comments and thoughts

Teresa

Interesting thought. There is no time per say for God. Everthing is current in his presence, there is no past and no future. It is said that prayers that people say can be applied at any time past or future, because God is not subject to time as we are. So, you could have a point there.

Have a Holy Lent,
Deacon Tony

wow - what a great thought - yes. I believe maybe he did. Maybe that’s also why He asked God to forgive those who knew not what they were doing with no faith - since He could see the rest of us there with Him in faith.

Wow -I’m gonna have to give that some thought!

This is a very interesting thought. It brings two things to mind for me. First, it reminds me of Bl. Catherine Emmerich’s vision of Our Lord’s Passion. She described Christ’s Agony in the Garden as him being subjected to witnessing every sin against God that ever occured, for all eternity. In that respect, Teresa, your thought is perfectly consistent with her vision, especially when we consider that heaven and earth, time and eternity came together at the Sacrifice on Calvary.

It also reminds me of a painting I saw at my local Catholic store. It was a depiction of the Crucifixion, but on Calvary were persons from all eras (e.g. austronauts, etc). Next time I go there, I’ll be looking at it in a whole new light (I never gave it much thought until your post).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back