**October 10, 2004
Twenty-eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time **
**Reading I
2 Kgs 5:14-17 **
Naaman went down and plunged into the Jordan seven times
at the word of Elisha, the man of God.
His flesh became again like the flesh of a little child,
and he was clean of his leprosy.
Naaman returned with his whole retinue to the man of God.
On his arrival he stood before Elisha and said,
“Now I know that there is no God in all the earth,
except in Israel.
Please accept a gift from your servant.”
Elisha replied, “As the LORD lives whom I serve, I will not take it;”
and despite Naaman’s urging, he still refused.
Naaman said: “If you will not accept,
please let me, your servant, have two mule-loads of earth,
for I will no longer offer holocaust or sacrifice
to any other god except to the LORD.”
Responsorial Psalm
Ps 98:1, 2-3, 3-4
R. (cf. 2b) The Lord has revealed to the nations his saving power
Sing to the LORD a new song,
for he has done wondrous deeds;
his right hand has won victory for him,
his holy arm.
R. The Lord has revealed to the nations his saving power.
The LORD has made his salvation known:
in the sight of the nations he has revealed his justice.
He has remembered his kindness and his faithfulness
toward the house of Israel.
R. The Lord has revealed to the nations his saving power.
All the ends of the earth have seen
the salvation by our God.
Sing joyfully to the LORD, all you lands:
break into song; sing praise.
**R. The Lord has revealed to the nations his saving power. **
Reading II
2 Tm 2:8-13
Beloved:
Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, a descendant of David:
such is my gospel, for which I am suffering,
even to the point of chains, like a criminal.
But the word of God is not chained.
Therefore, I bear with everything for the sake of those who are chosen,
so that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus,
together with eternal glory.
This saying is trustworthy:
If we have died with him
we shall also live with him;
if we persevere
we shall also reign with him.
But if we deny him
he will deny us.
If we are unfaithful
he remains faithful,
for he cannot deny himself.
Gospel
Lk 17:11-19
As Jesus continued his journey to Jerusalem,
he traveled through Samaria and Galilee.
As he was entering a village, ten lepers met him.
They stood at a distance from him and raised their voices, saying,
“Jesus, Master! Have pity on us!”
And when he saw them, he said,
“Go show yourselves to the priests.”
As they were going they were cleansed.
And one of them, realizing he had been healed,
returned, glorifying God in a loud voice;
and he fell at the feet of Jesus and thanked him.
He was a Samaritan.
Jesus said in reply,
“Ten were cleansed, were they not?
Where are the other nine?
Has none but this foreigner returned to give thanks to God?”
Then he said to him, “Stand up and go;
your faith has saved you.”

LITURGICAL BIBLE STUDY
Twenty-eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time – Cycle C
Opening prayer
2 Kings 5:14-17 (Ps 98:1-4) 2 Timothy 2:8-13 Luke 17:11-19

Overview of the Gospel:
· This Sunday’s Gospel reading follows Jesus as he continues his journey toward Jerusalem. On the way he passes between the regions of Galilee and Samaria.
· It was only a short time before that Jesus was refused welcome in a Samaritan village (Luke 9:51-56). The Samaritans were historic enemies of the Jews, who considered them pagan foreigners even though many of them had Israelite roots.
· As they travel in this border region, Jesus and his disciples are approached by a mixed group of Samaritan and Jewish lepers. Perhaps their common misery had forced them to band together, since as lepers they were all considered outcasts.
· Excluded from contact with others (Leviticus 13:45-46, 49; Numbers 5:2-3), lepers could return to society only after being made physically and ritually clean (Lev. 14:2-9). After they beseech Jesus, he tells them what to do to be healed.
· They all obey and are all healed, but only one of them after realizing it, returns to Jesus. Who (or what) he is and why he returns turns out to be very significant.
Questions:
· What would healing mean for a leper? In what ways does the story of the 10 lepers relate to the story of Naaman in our first reading?
· What is the significance of the one leper being a Samaritan (v 16)? From what did his faith save him (v 19)? For what did it save him? What might the healing indicate at a deeper level?
· What do you think happened to the other 9 lepers after they were cleansed and went to show themselves to the priests, as Jesus told them to (v 14)?
· When your prayer is answered, do you act like the one leper who returned to give thanks, or the other nine who did not? How do you express your gratitude to God?
Catechism of the Catholic Church: § 2616, 1503—05, 2096—97
Closing prayer**
Remember to read and meditate on the daily Mass readings found in the bulletin!
Christ, like a skillful physician, understands the weakness of men. He loves to teach the ignorant, and the erring he turns again to his own true way. He is easily found by those who live by faith, and to those of pure eye and holy heart who desire to knock at the door, he opens immediately. -St. Hyppolytus

** October 10, 2004 - Twenty-Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Cycle C) **
***Returning Thanks ***
Readings:
2 Kings 5:14-17
Psalm 98:1-4
2 Timothy 2:8-13
Luke 17:11-19
A foreign leper is cleansed and in thanksgiving returns to offer homage to the God of Israel. We hear this same story in both the First Reading and Gospel today.
There were many lepers in Israel in Elisha’s time, but only Naaman the Syrian trusted in God’s Word and was cleansed (see Luke 5:12-14). Today’s Gospel likewise implies that most of the 10 lepers healed by Jesus were Israelites - but only a foreigner, the Samaritan, returned.
In a dramatic way, we’re being shown today how faith has been made the way to salvation, the road by which all nations will join themselves to the Lord, becoming His servants, gathered with the Israelites into one chosen people of God, the Church (see Isaiah 56:3-8).
Today’s Psalm also looks forward to the day when all peoples will see what Naaman sees - that there is no God in all the earth except the God of Israel.
We see this day arriving in today’s Gospel. The Samaritan leper is the only person in the New Testament who personally thanks Jesus. The Greek word used to describe his “giving thanks” is the word we translate as “Eucharist.”
And these lepers today reveal to us the inner dimensions of the Eucharist and sacramental life.
We, too have been healed by our faith in Jesus. As Naaman’s flesh is made again like that of a little child, our souls have been cleansed of sin in the waters of Baptism. We experience this cleansing again and again in the Sacrament of Penance - as we repent our sins, beg and receive mercy from our Master, Jesus.
We return to glorify God in each Mass, to offer ourselves in sacrifice - falling on our knees before our Lord, giving thanks for our salvation.
In this Eucharist, we remember “Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, a descendant of David,” Israel’s covenant king. And we pray, as Paul does in today’s Epistle, to persevere in this faith - that we too may live and reign with Him in eternal glory.
salvationhistory.com/library/scripture/churchandbible/homilyhelps/ordinary28_c.cfm

Very nice study…one other angle is to ask yourself, Who are the lepers in my life?

May God bless you,
Deacon Tony SFO

That was such a great gospel especially to work with the Children at school because we read it and discussed it sentence by sentence and Deacon Tony I wish I would have read that question but will use it on Monday.

After going through this gospel line by line with a lot of different ages I found these things very enlightening.

Jesus walking on this journey and thinking how far he would have to walk to even see groups of people. This was a great tool to show us that we have the opportunity to testify to the truth of Christ and show good example to so many in one day.

The lepers who never journeyed far for fear of being ridiculed and stoned come right out to Jesus yelling “Have pity on us” It shows how close Christ is always waiting, I talked about the picture of Christ at the door with no door handle on his side and how he waits for us to call him.

I think the strongest point of course is Christ’ mercy and love for everyone and of course how quick he is to heal.

We did discuss the nine lepers that were cured and did not return, and talked about how God has a whole lot of fair weather friends.

God’s forgiveness is such a powerful statement.

I did not get to spend time on the OT because we are working on Abraham in some classes and there are very powerful statements in the story and the thoughts on the sacrifice of Isaac. Plus yesterday was a big day for Our Lady and we did a living Rosary for the school.

Navarre Commentary on Psalm 98
Psalm 98. The beginning and end of this psalm are almost identical to those of Psalm 96, but here the initial invitation is addressed implicitly to Israel (Ps 98:1). The joy that the people were invited to share in the previous psalm (cf. Ps 97:1) is celebrated here to the accompaniment of music (Ps 98:4-6). As was true of the two previous psalms, we find phrases taken from other psalms and from the second part of the book of Isaiah.
The psalm begins with an invitation to sing to the Lord in celebration of the great things he has done for Israel (vv. 1-3); it then calls on all the earth to join in with solemnity (vv. 4-6), and it ends by calling on nature, too, to praise the Lord, for he is coming to judge the earth (vv. 7-9)
All the great things the Lord has done for his people, mindful of his steadfast love and faithfulness (v. 3; cf. Is 41:8-9), are the reason for the praise offered here. These same divine actions are celebrated in the canticle spoken by Mary, the Magnificat; they reach their climax in the sending of the Messiah, the Son of God, whereby God reveals his justice to all the nations (cf. Lk 1:46-55). The Church uses this psalm on the solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of Mary, God’s “masterpiece.”

98:1-3. The Lord is depicted as a victorious warrior; he saved his people during the exodus and by bringing them back from exile in Babylon. God’s “arm” is referred to in Exodus 15:16 and in Isaiah 40:10; 51:5, 9, etc. he acted in keeping with the Covenant (v 3) and all the peoples have seen what he has done (cf. Psalm 96:10; Is 52:10). “O, my brothers and sons! You are shoots of the universal Church, the holy seed of the eternal kingdom; you are those who have been remade and reborn in Christ! Listen to me: Sing a new song to the Lord. You tell me that you are already singing. Sing on, I say, sing on: I can hear you. But try to make sure that your life does not contradict the words that your tongue sings. Sing with your voice and with your heart, sing with your mouth and with your deeds…You ask what praises you ought to sing: His praise resounds in the assembly of the faithful. The praise of the song comes from the singer himself. If you wish to give praise to God, become the song that you would sing. You yourselves will give praise if you lead holy lives” (St Augustine, Sermones, 34, 3-6).
98:4-6: All the nations therefore, all the earth, all called to acclaim him, as Israel does in the temple (“with the lyre and the sound of music”) and at festivals (with “the sound of the horn”) acknowledging him as king and Lord.
**98:7-9. ** Along with mankind, the inanimate world is invited to glorify the Lord, for he is going to establish his kingdom of justice and equity. The eschatological dimension of this passage is similar to that at the end of Psalm 96. A Christian sees that this will come to pass thanks to the redemption wrought by Christ. “The faithful must recognize the inner nature, the value and the ordering of the whole of creation to the praise of God. Even by their secular activity they must aid one another to greater holiness of life, so that the world may be filled with the spirit of Christ and may the more effectively attain its destiny in love and peace.” (Vatican II, Lumen gentium, 36).

Thank you for all that you do. I hope that in time, more folks will visit this thread. It is so important to come to Mass prepared for the readings. Jesus is alive in the readings as well as in the Eucharist, but without studying the readings, it may be more difficult to see him.

God bless,
Deacon Tony SFO

Deacon Tony560:
Thank you for all that you do. I hope that in time, more folks will visit this thread. It is so important to come to Mass prepared for the readings. Jesus is alive in the readings as well as in the Eucharist, but without studying the readings, it may be more difficult to see him.

God bless,
Deacon Tony SFO
Deacon Tony I agree, Fidelis that was a beautiful and meaningful reflection on the readings and gospel. You have inspired me to look a little closer at the readings also. and the quote from St. Augstine awesome and very meaningful.
40.png
Fidelis:
If you wish to give praise to God, become the song that you would sing. You yourselves will give praise if you lead holy lives” (St Augustine, Sermones, 34, 3-6).

Toni and DeaconTony-
Thanks for the encouragement. We haven’t got much feedback, but with the number of hits, I’m trusting the Holy Spirit will use it to help open up the readings for more people. God’s Word never returns to him void (Isaiah 55:10-11)! 🙂

The quote from Augustine is indeed beautiful. One of the reasons I love the Navarre Commentaries is they have all these gems I get to see for the first time.

**2 Timothy 2:8-13

Navarre Commentary:**
  1. “Jesus Christ, risen from the dead”: the Resurrection is the climaxof our faith (cf. 1 Cor 15) and the fixed reference point for Christian living, for we know that “Christ being raised from the dead will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him” (Rom 6:9). Therefore, Christ lives on in a glorified condition:
“As preached in my gospel”: literally, “according to my gospel”; Jesus’ glorious resurrection and his descent from David were key points in St Paul’s preaching.

9-10. The trials which St Paul was experiencing in prison on account of his preaching of the Gospel constitute an entitlement to heaven, for “martyrdom makes the disciple like his master, who willingly accepted death for the salvation of the world, and through it he is conformed to him by the shedding of blood” (“Lumen Gentium”, 42). This is a shining example of the Communion of Saints at work, for, when a Christian links
his suffering to Christ’s passion, that suffering contributes to the
Redemption.

Throughout history many pastors of the Church have suffered persecution on account of their fidelity to Christ. St John Chrysostom, shortly before going into exile, expressed his feelings in this way: “For me, this world’s evils are something I despise; and its good things are an object of scorn. I am not afraid of poverty nor do I have any desire for riches; I am not afraid of death nor do I have any desire to live unless it be to your advantage” (“Ante Exiltum Hom.”, 1).

11-13. “The saying is sure”: this is a technical expression used a
number of times in the Pastoral Epistles to attract attention to
especially important statements (cf. note on 1 Tim 1:15). Here it
introduces a poetic section in the form of a hymn of four verses, each consisting of a pair of contrasting phrases (of the type the Semitic mind loves). It is quite possible that this hymn was used in very early baptismal liturgy, given that it has to do with the intimate union of the baptized person with Christ, who died and is now risen; it also encourages Christians to stay faithful in the face of adverse circumstances even if that means martyrdom.

Thus, the first verse deals with the beginning of Christian life. Dying to sin and rising to the life of grace are Pauline expressions (cf. Rom 6:34) which point to the fact that in Baptism the Christian becomes a sharer in the passion, death and burial of the Lord, and also in the glory of his resurrection. Grace is the supernatural life and that life will attain its full form in heaven.

The two following verses deal with the stark choice the Christian has to make in the face of difficulties- endurance, or denial of the faith (cf. Mt 10:33; Lk 12:9); the hymn puts special emphasis on endurance, using as it does terminology proper to athletics (cf. Heb 12:1-3); also, the verb used in the second part of each phrase is in the future tense, as if an unlikely possibility were being discussed.

The last verse breaks the pattern because it does not counterpose
attitude and result but rather man’s infidelity and Christ’s fidelity:
“If we are faithless, he remains faithful.” This paradox of our Lord’s
love marks the climax of the hymn, which is a kind of poem extolling Christian endurance based on our Lord’s eternal faithfulness. “We Christians have the right to proclaim the royalty of Christ. Although injustice abounds, although many do not desire the kingdom of love, the work of salvation is taking place in the same human history as harbors evil” ([St] J. Escriva, “Christ Is Passing By”, 186).

Source: “The Navarre Bible: Text and Commentaries”.(excerpt)

**Luke 17:11-19

Navarre Commentary:**

11-19. The setting of this episode explains how a Samaritan could be in the company of Jews. There was no love lost between Jews and Samaritans (cf. John 4:9), but shared pain, in the case of these lepers, overcame racial antipathy.

The Law of Moses laid down, to prevent the spread of the disease, that lepers should live away from other people and should let it be known that they were suffering from this disease (cf. Leviticus 13:45-46). This explains why they did not come right up to Jesus and His group, but instead begged His help by shouting from a distance. Before curing them our Lord orders them to go to the priests to have their cure certified (cf. Leviticus 14:2ff), and to perform the rites laid down. The lepers’ obedience is a sign of faith in Jesus’ words. And, in fact, soon after setting out they are cleansed.

However, only one of them, the Samaritan, who returns praising God and showing his gratitude for the miracle, is given a much greater gift than the cure of leprosy. Jesus says as much: “Your faith has made you well” (verse 19) and praises the man’s gratefulness. The Gospel records this event to teach us the value of gratefulness: "Get used to lifting your heart to God, in acts of thanksgiving, many times a day. Because He gives you this and that. Because you have been despised. Because you haven’t what you need or because you have.

"Because He made His Mother so beautiful, His Mother who is also your Mother. Because He created the sun and the moon and this animal and that plant. Because He made that man eloquent and you He left tongue-tied…

“Thank Him for everything, because everything is good” ([St] J. Escriva, “The
Way”, 268).

**Source: “The Navarre Bible: Text and Commentaries”. **

Navarre Bible Commentary on 2 Kings 5:14-17

5:9-14.
The scene at Naaman’s arrival at the house of Elisha is full of significance. Before obtaining a cure for his physical ailment, Naaman needs to learn to obey the prophet’s word. The pomp surrounding Naaman contrasts sharply with the simple message conveyed by Elisha’s servant; the Syrian is expecting some magical rite to be performed on his behalf, whereas in fact he is ordered simply to bathe in the Jordan. Naaman needs to see that the prophet of the Lord, is not a magician or a kind of witch-doctor: it will be God who cleanses him when he does what he is told.
Naaman will come to see that it is not the waters that cure him, but God himself. His obedience needs to be put to the test: he has to dip in the water seven times. A similar command to Elisha’s, and an obedience like Naaman’s are to be found in the cure Jesus works for the blind man from birth (cf. John 9:6-7). Both these episodes are rightly seen as a prefigurement of baptism, the sacrament in which, through water and obedience to Christ’s word, man is cleansed from the leprosy of sin and is given the gift of faith: “The crossing of the Red Sea by the Hebrew was a figure of holy Baptism, for the Egyptians died but the Hebrews escaped. This is what the sacrament daily teaches us—that in it sin is drowned and error destroyed, whereas devotion and innocence cross unscathed…Finally, learn the lesson provided by the book of Kings. Naaman was a Syrian, and a leper, and there was no one who could cure him…He bathed and, finding he was cured, he realized immediately that it was not the water that cured him but the gift of God. He doubted prior to being cured; but you, who are already cured, should not have any doubts” (St. Ambrose, De mysteriis, 12, 19).

5:15-19. Naaman’s profession of faith (v. 15) is the climax of the episode, the true miracle. In the history of the kings of Israel, their idolatry is denounced time and time again; Naaman, by contrast, is an example that all Israelites should imitate. The fact that he takes away with him heaps of soil (land) from Israel is explained by the prevalent idea that a god could only be worshipped in the land where he manifested himself, and any land where idolatry was practiced was on that account desecrated (cf. Amos 7:17).
Naaman’s act of thanksgiving (vv. 15-17) is reminiscent of the Gospel passage (cf. Lk 17:11-19) where Jesus cures ten lepers, but only one, a stranger, returns to thank him. Jesus had a good reason to complain (cf. Lk 4:20-27) of our impudence in daring to think that we have in some way merited the gifts God gives us.

**From the Navarre Bible Commentary: Joshua—Kings **

👍 Great job Fidelis and don’t give up the Holy Spirit always provides.

Also I found one phrase today that I did not catch before about the dirt Namman brought back with him. I thought it was interesting today when the priest mentioned that because it is not something that I think about. How he took the dirt to worship God on this holy soil. (where he found God)

I thought that was interesting too – not only that he wanted to worship God on the soil where He had made himself known, but because, apparently, he felt that the land that he was from was too polluted by the worship of pagan idols to worship God there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back