Matthew 21:12 and Donation baskets

• Thread starter Thread starter cw1940
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cw1940

Hello everyone,

I am a dedicated Catholic; I go to mass on Sundays, I am partaking in Lent, and I am also studying the Bible. I have a Catholic Bible, along with a King James version, and New American standard bible. I read the bible, and always seek to improve myself and test the waters when it comes to things. I am someone who loves tradition, and that is why I am a devout Catholic, but I have many questions and as I go on, I will continue to do so. I remember I made a post on here about the Seventh Day Adventists, and their anti-Catholic teachings, which I strayed away from. I found lots of guidance, and I hope to find some here concerning a few questions I have.

I have been reading the New testament, and started with the book of Matthew. One of the things I have read and remember hearing before was how Jesus in Matthew 21:12-13 did this:

“Jesus entered the temple courts and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves.“It is written,” he said to them, “‘My house will be called a house of prayer,’ but you are making it ‘a den of robbers.’””

I have heard this before and have heard this used against the Catholic church because of the fact that the church has a donation plate for those to give money. But other denominations do this as well do they not? So is this scripture like the others being misquoted to make people believe the Catholic church is sinning against the word of God and Jesus Christ?

So is this scripture like the others being misquoted to make people believe the Catholic church is sinning against the word of God and Jesus Christ?
If Jesus objected to donating for the upkeep of the Church, why would he use the example of the widow putting her two little coins in the “collection” for the temple, and praise the widow for donating?

Last edited:
This is one thing the Father at my Church talked about Two sundays ago, and how Scripture can be manipulated to support someones beliefs, whether they’re wicked or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back