Thanks for your response! My dad shared your view when I asked him what he thought.
I am concerned that Jesus’ instructions seem very literal and also practical. I wonder why Jesus qualifies what he says by adding ‘let yes mean yes, and no mean no’ if his intention wasn’t for us to understand him literally.
He has basically said ‘Don’t do this, do do this’. It’s seems to me a direct instruction.
Thank you
To begin with, Jesus was talking to people who had to take Oaths under the Law of moses. It wasn’t possible not to and still obey the law. For us, the situation may seem different, but it isn’t. Baptism itself is an oath.
Imagine a world without oaths, and make it the common everyday world, In that world, what would it mean that a person is a “man of their word” ?
The idea of the oath is to bring a person into a position where their belief in God (or higher power) makes them fear lying. One generally does not need to ask an honest man for an oath; Often, in business, I think that “nondisclosure” statements are rather pointless for either the person is a liar, in which case the agreement/statement isn’t going to stop them from attempting guile – or the person is honest, in which case a non-disclosure agreement at best undermines trust because it attaches all kinds of technical strings that can cause damage by unscrupulous parties (both sides).
In light of Jesus’ attempt to curb people from using false oaths, there comes another aspect of the same problem – “Be honest.”. Even in the absence of an oath – yes must mean yes, and no must mean no. Otherwise, something resembling an oath (threat) will be the only alternative.
I take Jesus’ words very strongly; I generally don’t make oaths if I can avoid it.
I have chosen to take an oath in court when I could have demanded simple affirmation because I feel very keenly that people mock God and the court system; and that by doing my best to affirm the truth when doubters can’t touch me with a cross examination that I show both my fear of God, and belief in an atheistic world.
However, being on the stand – I was faced with an aspect that I hadn’t thought about, and that was that lawyers often ask questions designed to trick or obscure the testimony of a witness. (esp. when they are loosing the case). As such, it would be easy to make a slip under oath accidentally, and that would weigh on one’s conscience as well. Jesus’ words are very pragmatic.
There is another aspect of oaths, though, which also need to be considered – And those are the promises one makes to God. This is an area, too, where rash oaths are common. One doesn’t know the future, and often can make a promise that later can’t (or doesn’t want) be kept. A good example of this is found in Judges 11:14-39.
I couldn’t help thinking of Star Wars when you mentioned your Father – eg: "Luke, I am your Father…

" Thankfully, I’m not wearing black today…