Maybe we need to learn some "followship"

• Thread starter Thread starter workinprogress
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

workinprogress

Did I post this before? Well, everyone is being encouraged to be the leader. Where is the humility training to be a good follower being encouraged? Maybe there would be more docility amongst Catholics if we were taught how to be true followers instead of trying to push all kinds of changes from the far right or left using slander, calumny and other sins of the toungue as potential methods to be used.

Mmm… Two things you mentioned.

One- the need to be able to follow. I agree… I was told this summer that to be a great leader you must be able to follow- recognizing strength and good ideas in others and being able to let down your arm of power! 🙂 But where do we look to for leadership? In our homes, in our schools and smaller cities, often we must be the leaders. But we still must humbly follow our Archbishop, and of course the Pope and Jesus! We are instructed to be like little children, our training comes by reading the bible and living out our faith! It would be wonderful to see a renewal of faithful leaders…

Two- “using slander, calumny and other sins of the toungue” Unfortunetly we are made not only guilty before God, but really looking ignorant and resentful and unchristian (!!) in front of the world when we rely on these kinds of words. We need strong yet humble leaders! We need to take up this call! We need to use virtue- patience, humility, understanding, wisdom…

God bless!

There may be a tinge of ego in one who takes up the position of leadership unless called to do so–but not always. Some do have a gift for management. Still, I think some may arise from the little people in tough situations while some leaders bury their head in the sand. Not everyone should be encouraged to be a leader (at least in a management style leadership). President Bush had no military experience, yet he handled Afghanistan well after 9/11. You never can tell. Still, he volunteered. St Francis didn’t want to be leader, institutionally, at least of his order or of a parish. Pope John 1, I understand, didn’;t want to be bishop of anyplace much less the true Universal Church of Christ. I think leadership training should be preceeded by followship training because there is always someone better–if not an earthbound person, Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back