Meaning of Epiphany........have you ever had one?

• Thread starter Thread starter BarbaraTherese
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BarbaraTherese

Here is the dictionary version of ‘epiphany’:

m-w.com/dictionary/epiphany

capitalized : January 6 observed as a church festival in commemoration of the coming of the Magi as the first manifestation of Christ to the Gentiles or in the Eastern Church in commemoration of the baptism of Christ

2 : an appearance or manifestation especially of a divine being

**3 a **(1) : a usually sudden manifestation or perception of the essential nature or meaning of something

(2) : an intuitive grasp of reality through something (as an event) usually simple and striking

(3) : an illuminating discovery b : a revealing scene or moment

1. What does the Feast of the Epiphany mean to you?

2. Do you celebrate that meaning in any way?

3. Have you ever had a personal epiphany?

The Feast of the Epiphany means to me the first manifestation of Jesus to the gentiles…He is incorporating not only the Jewish nation, but the gentiles as well as His Own. It is a time of praise and thankfulness specifically…and in whatever manner The Lord may ask of me…

It is also traditionally twelfth night and the day after Epiphany I take down all Christmas decorations and it is now my task through, with and inThe Lord to make Him manifest in all the communities to which I belong and specifically the general community…
During the bombing of London in the Second World War a large statute of Jesus in a Cathedral was badly damaged. It was reconstructed after the War but the hands on the statue were never replaced. This is the inscription instead that is written on the base of the statue: “He has no hands but yours”.

Barb
Sth. Aust.

BarbaraTherese said:
1. What does the Feast of the Epiphany mean to you?**

It means I get to play epiphany music, and we get to hear Fr. Busch’s annual sermon on the gifts.
2. Do you celebrate that meaning in any way?
Until now, mostly as mentioned above.
  1. Have you ever had a personal epiphany?
Yes.

My life has become one. I no longer “have” epiphany but am living constantly in the experience of it.

Barb, I like your questions because they seem to relate to my own personal spiritual condition a lot of times, and this post is no exception.

Alan

Epiphany will be celebrated on Sunday (8th January) in Canada, not on the 6th January. Yesterday, it was an optional feast day for Blessed Andre Bessette, a Canadian who was devoted to St.Joseph and was responsible for the building of that famous edifice, the Oratory of St. Joseph in Montreal, Quebec. He died on January 6th 1923.

Yes there have been moments in my life when I had a clear understanding of something, such as the difference between, accident,substance, and essence, and other terms used in Thomism, which for me at any rate are hard to grasp. That was a revelation, an epiphany of sorts. I should add that I am a convert to the RC church who wouldn’t have been convert unless I could convince myself that I could prove the existence of God, the way St.Thomas Aquinas did. This is not as easy at is sounds. An understanding of the five proofs were also an epiphany.

40.png
Pondero:
I should add that I am a convert to the RC church who wouldn’t have been convert unless I could convince myself that I could prove the existence of God, the way St.Thomas Aquinas did. This is not as easy at is sounds. An understanding of the five proofs were also an epiphany.
Interesting you bring that up. I have been trying to prove God, or the lack of God, to myself for years. Eventually I decided that there was no way to prove mathematically but there was overwhelming statistical evidence which allowed such beliefs to be valid. Essentially I had to have a working model of a “unification theory” that spanned more disparate concepts like space/time/gravity than Einstein worked on, such as mysticism v math and science, or in the chasm of real v. dream world.

I’m not that good at Thomasism (?) so I’m not sure what the “five proofs” are.

Alan

Hello!

Have I ever had an epiphany? Yes, many once I learned to trust that “still, small voice within”. Who knows how many I missed prior to that? I know the Magi is not a strictly historical event but rather a teaching device in spiritual discernment: recognizing it, interpreting it, and following through with it. I believe it is one of the greatest teachings in the NT - yet Jesus had yet to utter one word! I think epiphanies strike to the heart of St Francis’ life as “God’s Fool”. I, too, ritualistically mark Epiphany by taking down the tree and lights. In the Nazarean Church of Jerusalem, to which I belong, Epiphany marks the final Sunday of the Holy Child Festival (which began 12/25).

40.png
AlanFromWichita:
Interesting you bring that up. I have been trying to prove God, or the lack of God, to myself for years. Eventually I decided that there was no way to prove mathematically but there was overwhelming statistical evidence which allowed such beliefs to be valid. Essentially I had to have a working model of a “unification theory” that spanned more disparate concepts like space/time/gravity than Einstein worked on, such as mysticism v math and science, or in the chasm of real v. dream world.

I’m not that good at Thomasism (?) so I’m not sure what the “five proofs” are.

Alan
I think it should be discussed on another thread, not this one. They are not scientific proofs but proofs just the same. They are not in my view mathematical proofs but sensible metaphysical proofs for the existence of God. The first cause argument is the one which starts the ball rolling, so to speak. I could list all five here but it is off topic. They are found in Summa Theologicae and Summa Contra Gentiles, by St. Thomas Aquinas. Also,they are discussed at length by F.C. Copleston S.J. in his book Aquinas, and in Etienne Gilson’s book *The Elements of Christian Philosophy. *Of the two I prefer F.C. Copleston’s book.

“Proof” of God: why is there “something”, instead of “nothing”?

I’ve had several epiphanies, but the one that started it all sticks vividly in my mind to this day.

On a day when I arrived early for a ski patrol instruction session, I felt called to the chapel in the room across the hall. Kneeling there, I asked God very boldly why I seemed to be having so many problems.

Amazingly, interiorly I received an answer: “You don’t have many problems; you have only one problem. Why don’t you trust me?” I’ve spent much time over the years pondering that question. While I mostly know the answer, the constant prayer since then has been “Lord help me overcome the reasons why I don’t trust you as I should.”

It was unquestionably a turning point in my journey, from which I hope never to “recover”, all made possible because I was quiet enough for a short time to hear the still, small voice. I know that having had the “veil part” for just those few moments opened up heaven for me and brought me into the merciful arms of this loving God of ours.

Peace,

40.png
ncjohn:
I’ve had several epiphanies, but the one that started it all sticks vividly in my mind to this day.
On a day when I arrived early for a ski patrol instruction session, I felt called to the chapel in the room across the hall. Kneeling there, I asked God very boldly why I seemed to be having so many problems.
Amazingly, interiorly I received an answer: “You don’t have many problems; you have only one problem. Why don’t you trust me?” I’ve spent much time over the years pondering that question. While I mostly know the answer, the constant prayer since then has been “Lord help me overcome the reasons why I don’t trust you as I should.”
It was unquestionably a turning point in my journey, from which I hope never to “recover”, all made possible because I was quiet enough for a short time to hear the still, small voice. I know that having had the “veil part” for just those few moments opened up heaven for me and brought me into the merciful arms of this loving God of ours.

Peace,
Thank you to all who have contributed to this Thread.

Hi John…I was particularly moved by your personal epiphany and it reminded me of something I recently read in de Caussade’s “Abandonment to Divine Providence”
9th. We must understand that we can never acquire true conformity to the will of God until we are perfectly resolved to serve Him according to His will and pleasure and not to please ourselves. In everything look to God, and you will find Him everywhere, but more especially where you have most completely renounced yourself. When you are thoroughly convinced that of yourself you are incapable of doing any good, you will give up making resolutions but will humbly confess to God: “My God, I acknowledge after many trials that all my resolutions are useless. Doubtless I have hitherto depended too much on myself, but You have abased me. You alone can do all things; make me then, do such and such a thing, and give me, when necessary, the recollection, energy and strength of will that I require. Without this, I know from my former sad experiences, I shall never do anything.
Barb

For many years I had been querying why animals were sacrificed cruelly in the Old Testament…it always puzzled me. Then one day, quite without the asking something hit me: The Old Testament cruel sacrifices prefigured the cruel death of the innocent Jesus. I dont know why I could never insight that previously, but I could not and the veil of not understanding was raised for me personally…and I understood that God in the Old Testament was clearly pointing to His Son in the New.
Just as the Old Testament animal sacrifices were central to Old Testament religion…so the cross of Jesus is central to The New Testament…and repeated in the Holy Sacrifice of The Mass which is central to our Faith.
That was a personal epiphany for me…things fell into place for me wheras previously I simply could not insight the reality. The experience was like being in a dark dark room and then suddenly without any invitation, the blind throws up and light pours into the room and one can see.

Barb

At Mass tonight our priest also referenced the eastern thought behind epiphany and theophany, related to the tradition where a king would visit the far reaches of his kingdom. A similar discussion is made HERE (where there is also a lot of great Epiphany information): …whenever an oriental ruler visits a city, he is received with great splendor: the city is brilliantly lit, the king enters in gorgeous procession, gives the inhabitants costly gifts, and grants privileges. Such a visit is called a “theophany” or “epiphany” and is considered as a visit of a god come to earth. Hence, the name Epiphany fits this holy feast, because Christ, the King, visits His city, the Church. His people receive Him with splendor and joy, and He Himself gives them the gift and privilege of the Eucharistic banquet.

I hadn’t heard this origin of the term before and thought it was another interesting approach to understanding the meaning of the Feast of the Epiphany.

Blessings

Have I ever had one?

Have I ever!

A sudden, unexpected revelation of Mary, Mother of God -
which converted me to the Catholic Faith -
and changed my life forever after…

(Cf. Spirituality sub-forum, Praying the Roasry thread, post #23!)

Here are a few insights from our Parish Newsletter for this week. I cant give any link as I am typing direct from the newsletter:

Did you Know?
l. The word 'ephiphany’means ‘manifestation’ or ‘showing’.
  1. The gifts brought by the Magi (probably astrologers from Persia)
    reveal many things about Jesus.
    Gold: His Kingship
    Frankincense: His priestly role.
    Myrrh: Suggests the spices and ointment with which
    Jesus’ Body is anointed and wrapped at his
    death that brought salvation.
In some countries and cultures gifts are given on this feast rather than Christmas Day.

Symbols and Images
Gifts establish a special relationship between the giver and receiver. Sometimes called ‘presents’ because they somehow make the giver present to the one who receives.
Sharing the Tradition
The feast of the Epiphany originated in the Easter Church and took hold in Rome some time during the fourth century. The main focus given to the feast was that of celebrating the coming of the faith to the gentiles.
These three ‘kings’ are often depicted as Asian, African and European representing the threee known continents of that time. What is important in this later development is that it retains the original meaning:
That Christ came to all nations and is the salvation of all people who recognize him.***
Over time too, the Magi of the Gospel became three kings (folklore) with three names (folklore): Balthasar, Melchior and Caspar.

*** In Father’s homily, he did mention the three baptisms: of water, blood and desire and in this latter is included those who may not profess Christianity and/or never baptized with water, in any form but are obedient to their own consciences of goodwill. Father specifically included in this latter atheists as well. All salvation is through Christ.
These things should not startle or scandalize us, rather to rejoice in the wondrous Mercy and Love of God for His Whole Creation.

Regards, Barb

Tonight I celebrated Epiphany by trusting from God’s hints of sunshine scattered throughout the day after seemingly endless grey days here in Northeast Ohio that He would provide a sunset for my camera. (I’m into nature photography.) Therefore I drove all the way out to my sunset spot, sat in the car, and waited … as the sun sank lower and lower into a thick, deep cloud bank.

At one point I reminded myself that most people would give up by now and go home instead of sitting out in a cold parking lot waiting, like Linus for the Great Pumpkin. But I told myself that it was the Feast of the Epiphany after all, and that I should just trust and wait for the light as a token of God’s loving gift to me. And … several minutes before sunset … a thin orange line of sun broke through the thick grey veil of cloud. The line grew, opened up, into a spectacular pastel pink with yellow and hints of purple … which reflected beautifully off of a pond half-covered with ice. 🙂 :cool: 👍

http://icons.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/c/CountryDreaming/572.jpg

~~ the phoenix

What a beautiful gift to you Phoenix from The Lord rewarding your trust and confidence in Him, and recorded on film. Thank you for the incredible pic!

Your story did remind me of Little St. Therese of Lisieux who loved snow and hoped it would snow on her clothing day…it did!

Regards from Sth. Aust…Barb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back