Meaning of the Word "Saint"?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TimothyH
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TimothyH

Guest
The word “Saint” came up in the course of normal conversation with a coworker who, knowing I was Catholic, insisted that it means “Son”, complete with the predictable assertion that we are all saints.

I asked him if he was a saint and he said yes, that he was a son of God.

I really didn’t know how to reply exept to say “Oh, yea, you’re a regular Mother Teresa and I’m Pope John Paul II.”

I know, they are not saints… you get the idea…

So anyone care to explain what the authors of scripture meant by the word “Saint”, how to explain it or how to refute the asseration that we are all saints?

Or are we? Personally, I don’t feel like a saint.

-Tim-
 
The term comes from the Latin root sanct, which is in reference to being sanctified or “holy.” In a sense, your friend is correct that anyone who is a child of God is a “saint”. However, your friend may not understand the Church’s use of “Saint” as a title, designating belief of that person worthy of imitation for his example in living a Christly life. I believe Saints that have gone through formal canonization are officially deemed “in heaven,” I believe I’ve heard Karl Keating say on CAL radio.

In Scripture, the Greek word in the NT appears to be ἅγιος, and it denotes often someone who is holy or set apart by God. True, all of those in Christ can properly be called “the saints”, but it is also no less legitimate to designate someone “St. Paul” for instance as someone who is especially exemplary of living the Christian life. :o
 
Tim-
we are saints (“holy”) when we are in a state of grace - saved by grace, through faith. St. Paul referred to “those who are being saved” (1 Cor. 1:18, 2 Cor. 2:15) which recognizes both that we cannot be certain of our salvation until we die in a state of grace, and that we are being sanctified - gradually being conformed to the image of Christ - or, as my sig file quotes Hebrews, striving for holiness.

“Saints” comes from the Latin for “holy” (sanctus). Not at all sure where your friend came up with “son” which would be “filios” . . .
 
Saint…holy…
  1. Saint is used in different senses.
  2. Those canonized are examples of heroic sanctity
  3. All in heaven are saints …some heroic some less so.
  4. and Yes St. Paul referred to Christians of his day as saints…as holy…and indeed Pope Benedict reminded us of this…
“At the beginning of Christianity, the members of the Church were also called “saints”. In his First Letter to the Corinthians, St Paul addresses “those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints together with all those who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ” (I Cor 1: 2). Indeed, Christians are already saints because Baptism unites them to Jesus and to his Paschal Mystery, but at the same time they must become so by conforming themselves every more closely to him.” --Pope Benedict XVI

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/angelus/2007/documents/hf_ben-xvi_ang_20071101_all-saints_en.html
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top