Meaning of "turn the other cheek"?

• Thread starter Thread starter mark_a
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mark_a

I always interpereted this just as it sounds. But I recently read (I forgot where) another meaning that goes something like this:

You would be better off to turn the other cheek (and get hit again, I guess) than hold a grudge and have it eat away at you from the inside.

Or something like that.

Or are both my interperetations loopy?

Considering that the hitting was an insult, and turning the other cheek meant not responding to the insult, but having the humility to accept more insult, your second interpretation may not be loopy, but a little father removed.

I interpret ‘turn the other cheek’ to mean that we shouldn’t hold a grudge and if someone does something wrong to us and is repentant we should accept their repentance e.g. paying back the money they stole or fixing the broken window and then forgive them and not hold any grudge in our hearts against them. 🙂

40.png
yinekka:
I interpret ‘turn the other cheek’ to mean that we shouldn’t hold a grudge and if someone does something wrong to us and is repentant we should accept their repentance e.g. paying back the money they stole or fixing the broken window and then forgive them and not hold any grudge in our hearts against them. 🙂
How about if they are unrepentant?

I’ve also wondered whether it included a call to continue making yourself vulnerable.

If you are in a situation where you must take a stand based on the faith, do so, and are “struck” on the cheek, you must continue to stand firm, even if it means a whack on the other one.

Mind you, where discretion is truly the better part of valour, I don’t suggest we are dealing with a call to needlessly endure battering.

Blessings,

Gerry

By God’d grace and good teaching on things of this nature, I’ve perhaps got some knowledge to pass on regarding this.

1st - We have to basically realize that this is pertaining to personal dealings with people, and should not extend to decisions made by the Civil Magistrate. Romans 13:4 - “But if you do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain.” Now if it were not proper for the magistrate to render punishment (according to God’s Law, not man’s unreasonable innovations), then it would not be said of him “he beareth not the sword in vain.” And what fear would an evildoer have of that executive tribunal if he knew it would instruct the victim to “turn the other cheek.” ? See Exodus 21:23-25
When the Lord chooses to punish the wicked, He has many tools at His hands. The most obvious is the court and executive system which hears and punishes criminals. However, all of His creation can be summoned to execute temporal punishments (ie. Genesis 6:13, Wisdom 5:17-23).

Well, before I go on, I think you’ve sincerely got it, and since that attitude of Christ is not natural for us to have or even desire, we should give the glory to God when He causes us to be concerned with our response to persecution or ridicule.

2nd ,
Check out
Romans 12:17-21
Proverbs 25:21
I Peter 3:8-15
Psalm 34:12

Surely the Scriptures could be multiplied almost endlessly with exhortations and examples of the like. But since you asked, I wanted to give you more Scriptures to meditate upon through the day. They are instructful to me, for as a little of the fragrance of Christ is enough to fill the heart, it is good for the heart and mind to be overcome with the sweet scent of His Word, for it is then less likely to give way to rottonness or be taken away by the wind.

Finally, your second interpretation, about not holding a grudge, I’ve never heard that before. You could perhaps hold more of a grudge if you “got hit more”, but if a person is a “grudge holder” they are probably not the “turn the other cheek” type. But yeah, it’s certainly better to do the non-violent thing than it is to do violence to somebody by holding a grudge.

Even God’s forgiveness in conditional on repentance. I don’t think we have to forgive someone who doesn’t repent of his/her offence.

What a poor parent I would be if, when my child had thrown his dinner on the floow in a temper said to him, “don’t worry about it love love, I forgive you.” I would just be teaching him to do it again.

Thanks everyone.

I suppose it’s the responsibility of the wronged person to rebuke the trespasser.

But what about a recurring problem from someone whom you are in daily contact- one that has been addressed before, one that even the biggest idiot should know not to do even the first time? Does the 70 times 7 rule apply? This seems like the only instance it’s possible to apply it, although I don’t see myself being this forgiving.

Is realizing the next “strike” can come at any moment (and protecting yourself) the same as holding a grudge?

Is not having a warm fuzzy feeling toward that person considered holding a grudge?

Seems like a lot of gray area between the first strike and (the seemingly unacceptable) striking back.

My mother had a phrase: “Bury the hatchet. But mark the spot.”

That might border on holding a grudge.

Holding a grudge is an unwillingness to forgive. Forgiveness isn’t a call to stupidity.

Protecting yourself is not wrong. One can protect himself and still be humble.

Warm fuzzy feelings are Hollywood’s take on love, and they have nothing to do with the love we are called to. Love is kind. Love is patient. Go read Paul; he calls love a choice, not a feeling.

Be careful of proof-texting; taking one phrase and trying to orient your entire behavior accordingly. The bible talks alot about justice. It also talks alot about mercy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back