Meat-less Fridays

• Thread starter Thread starter starrs0
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
That site did not tell the whole story however - it is optional in the US at least – read on –

**Canon 1250 ** All Fridays through the year and the time of Lent are penitential days and times throughout the entire Church.
Code:
				**Canon 1251**  Abstinence from eating meat or another food according to the prescriptions of the conference of bishops is to be observed on Fridays throughout the year unless (*nisi*) they are solemnities; abstinence and fast are to be observed on [Ash Wednesday](http://www.wf-f.org/AshWed.html)   and on the [Friday](http://www.wf-f.org/GoodFriday.html) of the Passion   and Death of Our Lord Jesus Christ. 

**Canon 1252**  All persons who have completed their   fourteenth year are bound by the law of abstinence; all adults   are bound by the law of fast up to the beginning of their sixtieth   year. Nevertheless, pastors and parents are to see to it that   minors who are not bound by the law of fast and abstinence are   educated in an authentic sense of penance.

**Canon 1253**  It is for the conference of bishops to   determine more precisely the observance of fast and abstinence   and to substitute in whole or in part for fast and abstinence   other forms of penance, especially works of charity and exercises   of piety.

40.png
awalt:
That site did not tell the whole story however - it is optional in the US at least – read on –
Not exactly. Catholics in the United States have the option to replace abstinence with some other act of penance on Fridays outside of lent. The act of penance is not optional, just the replacing it with another act.

So how many of you who still eat meat are consciously making another act of penance?

??? That’s exactly what I was saying through what the posted Canon says ???

Abstinence from meat on Fridays is not required but some form of penance is.
CCC 1438 covers this.

40.png
thistle:
Abstinence from meat on Fridays is not required but some form of penance is.
CCC 1438 covers this.
I wonder what the most common form of penance is on Friday in the US. I would say it’s still meat.

Or is penance even done anymore 😦

40.png
WindyFire12:
I wonder what the most common form of penance is on Friday in the US. I would say it’s still meat.

Or is penance even done anymore 😦
Personally I don’t eat meat. Its easy to remember although on an odd occasion I’ve forgotten and had some meat for lunch. When it was pointed out to me I then fast in the evening (I give up dinner).

When I came back to the church (July 10,2004) I was under the impression that it was no longer a requirement to abstain from meat on Friday. Just a few weeks ago I learned on EWTN that was not the case. So even though I’m 65 years old I will not eat meat on Friday, as long as I’m able too .

Santa Cruz:
When I came back to the church (July 10,2004) I was under the impression that it was no longer a requirement to abstain from meat on Friday. Just a few weeks ago I learned on EWTN that was not the case. So even though I’m 65 years old I will not eat meat on Friday, as long as I’m able too .
That’s not quite correct. It is not a requirement not to eat meat on Fridays. It is a requirement to do some form of penance on Fridays, and not eating meat is one of the choices you can make (Catechism of the Catholic Church 1438: …spiritual exercises, penitential liturgies, pilgrimages as signs of penance, voluntary self-denial such as fasting and almsgiving, and fraternal sharing (charitable and missionary works.)

40.png
thistle:
That’s not quite correct. It is not a requirement not to eat meat on Fridays. It is a requirement to do some form of penance on Fridays, and not eating meat is one of the choices you can make (Catechism of the Catholic Church 1438: …spiritual exercises, penitential liturgies, pilgrimages as signs of penance, voluntary self-denial such as fasting and almsgiving, and fraternal sharing (charitable and missionary works.)
That’s not good. I have been grown up and not knowing that Friday was an obligatory penitential day… :S

I think I will do what Medjugorje’s penances are; fasting on Wednesday and Friday. I say Wednesday because Jesus probably died on a Wednesday, and a Friday because it’s traditional.

Oh, I can hear the people now, how we aren’t required anymore… ACTUALLY I do not know since I live in Canada and not in the United States…

I was just over at EWTN answers forum. The very question of eating meat on Friday was one of the newest. The Priest answered that there is no prohibition of meat on Fridays outside of Lent.

Our family does not normally eat meat on fridays. There have been times when we have been in the situation when it was not possible. Then we give up something else that we enjoy for the day.

40.png
silverwings_88:
I say Wednesday because Jesus probably died on a Wednesday
:confused: huh??? :eek: does the Catholic church teach that instead of Friday? Where in the world does that come from??? :confused: :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back