My parish priest in London, a normally reliable source of knowledge, once told me about a medieval heresy of corpusilium (I assume that is how it was spelt), which was a belief that the Blessed Sacraments became the physical body of Jesus. I have searched for it in libraries (you know, the type with books in it) and online for the last two decades but have not found anything concrete. Though I have come across Church teachings that makes clear that the Real Presence does not mean physical change in the elements of bread & wine, I have not come across any formal condemnation of such a position.
Can anyone help?
I think the priest said “cartesianism”, not “corpusilium”.
Here are a couple quotes from the online Catholic Encyclopedia.
(Just use the “find” feature – control F – and do a find/search on “cartesianism”. It will bring you to the section where the word appears.)…This being the case, some theologians in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, who inclined to Cartesianism, as E, Maignan, Drouin, and Vitasse, displayed but little theological penetration when
they asserted that the Eucharistic appearances were optical illusions, phantasmagoria, and make-believe accidents, ascribing to Divine omnipotence an immediate influence upon the five senses, whereby a mere subjective impression of what seemed to be the accidents of bread and wine was created…
newadvent.org/cathen/05573a.htm
and
…Theorists who, like the Cartesians, deny the objective, distinct entity of all accidents have been obliged to reconcile this negation with their belief in the Real Presence by maintaining that the species, or accidents, of bread and wine do not really remain in the Eucharist, but that after Consecration
God produces on our senses the impressions corresponding to the natural phenomena. This theory obviously demands a seemingly unnecessary multiplication of miracles and has at present few if any serious advocates…
newadvent.org/cathen/01096c.htm
BTW, I found it after going to the New Advent website and using their search feature. Did a search on “eucharistic heresies illusion”.