Memorizing Scripture

  • Thread starter Thread starter SnakeMauler
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SnakeMauler

Guest
I was just thinking. It would be pretty interesting to memorize scripture. I mean, I guess people did it a lot way back when. So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to memorize scripture or what types of things would be beneficial to memorize and the importance of memorizing it?

Thanks,
Snakemaule
 
There is lots of advice online – evangelical Protestants are big into memorization scripture.

I’ve done a fair amount of memorization myself over the years. I simply write out the passage on 3" x 5" cards and carried the cards with me. It’s easy to find time here and there to work on memorization. I’ve memorized a number of Psalms, parts of the gospels and epistles, even the book of Ephesians that way.

As a side note, memorization and meditation on the scriptures (lectio divina) go hand in hand. When you find a verse or passage that really speaks to you, it’s good to write it down and memorize it so you can continue to consider it. Early monks would continue to ponder scripture from their time of meditation or from the liturgy throughout the day in that way.
 
There is lots of advice online – evangelical Protestants are big into memorization scripture.

I’ve done a fair amount of memorization myself over the years. I simply write out the passage on 3" x 5" cards and carried the cards with me. It’s easy to find time here and there to work on memorization. I’ve memorized a number of Psalms, parts of the gospels and epistles, even the book of Ephesians that way.

As a side note, memorization and meditation on the scriptures (lectio divina) go hand in hand. When you find a verse or passage that really speaks to you, it’s good to write it down and memorize it so you can continue to consider it. Early monks would continue to ponder scripture from their time of meditation or from the liturgy throughout the day in that way.
Alan, we must be twins; I’ve done exactly the same thing, including Ephesians. I would add that when I do the 3x5 card thing, I copy what I’m trying to memorize to a word processing program and break it down into short clauses and phrases, like a poem. This makes it easier for me to memorize. Then I print the passage out on the 3x5 cards.

DaveBj
 
I dunno… I really like the beginning of John… Do you think I could get anyThing out of memorizing that or just psalms?
 
I dunno… I really like the beginning of John… Do you think I could get anyThing out of memorizing that or just psalms?
John 1 is a great passage to memorize and meditate on. At one time I had most of it down, but memorized Scripture has to be maintained, and unfortunately I haven’t done that.

DaveBj
 
I highy recommend memorizing Scripture. I know from personal experience that it has been one of the most important things I have done spiritually. It helps you when you explain the faith to people or defend it, and the more Scripture you learn the more the rest of Scripture makes sense when you read it or hear because often Scripture can be explained by other passages of Scripture. One of the biggest mistakes that Catholics have made in the past is teaching Catholics to be ignorant of Scripture, what the heck were they thinking!!! It bread a generation of Bible illiterate Catholics!
 
Here is what I do to memorize scripture, I use an iphone app called flashcards, i type all the passages i want to memorize into it and on the flipside i type in the chapter and verse, i have added hundreds of flashcards onto one little device so any time I want to test myself i just pull out my iphone, it saves me from having to carry loads of flashcards around. i have memorized hundreds of passages doing this.

So you can try this if you have an iphone or an ipad! 🙂
 
Sorry, I’m not that much of a gadgeteer. I’m doing well using WordPerfect to print scripture on real paper 3x5 cards.

DaveBj
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top